Passport Photos: A photo how we really don't want the world to see us.

Auckland Travel Blog

The Infamous Passport Photo

I have the face that only a mother could love - or is that I have the passport photo of someone that only a mother could love?

Recently my passport photo has been giving me a complex. You know the sort of complex that you're sure people are whispering behind your back but stop when you turn around? Well my passport has been giving me such a complex. It's not that it's a bad photo ... it's that it is a terrible photo.

At first, I thought it was alright. I had my photo taken and I chose this one out of a sample of ten or so shots. This was the photo I thought I was most proud of. I thought this was the photo that most resembled me. But, now after all the comments I recently received, I am under no illusion that if I were in an asylum I don't think I would look out of place,

I look a little, well .... intense - or should I write INTENSE!!!!!! For instance today when I turned up to the aiport to check in, the woman inhaled when she saw my photo. There was a definate drawing in of air when she turned to my photo page. I smiled sweetly and she ended up coughing and saying something really disingenuous like,'hmm that's a lovely photo. You seem very focussed'.

Politely I thanked her for the veiled 'compliment'.

The reason for the intensity is all in my eyes. They say the eyes are the windows to your soul and therefore it would appear that my soul is screaming out to anyone who sees my photo that I am irrational and capable of danger. I have a 'Don't Mess With Me' look on my face. Upon reflection I wonder if it is because of this reason that I always gets stopped at customs?

Still I guess I am one of these 'glass is half full' kind of girls. You could argue that passport photos are meant to look like you came off a 20 hour flight with messed up hair and more importantly you're meant to look like you sat next to a person who insisted on telling you their entire life story so that you couldn't sleep while you had an aisle seat next to the bathroom at the back of the plane and strangers would hang onto your seat, moving it and talking loudly while waiting to use the toilet. Yes, as the adage goes, 'If you look like your passport photograph, you need a holiday.' So here I am, about to board a plane and hopefully when I return to NZ, I'll look nothing like my passport photo.

Ciao until hot and humid Cairo. I'll be 'sphinxing' of you all in New Zealand, or wherever it is you're reading from. Please feel free to let me know where in the world you are. :)

cygnus16 says:
A TravBud with a great sense of humor.Love it. My passport picture makes me look like a Bowery bum, if any of you young whippersnappers know what that means. Excuse my political incorrectness. I'm ignorant.
Posted on: Jun 14, 2011
Liselore_Verschuren says:
Hilarious and very recogniseable! I can tell you that the picture on my passport is worse... I look like someone who has been saved from drowing after serious lack of sleep! I'm not brave enough to post it here on TB though, I'd rather show it to as little people as possible. :D
Posted on: Dec 22, 2010