Operation Fatten Up Saskia

Deurne Travel Blog

Yum! Hollandse Nieuw

Arriving back in the folds of the family and my priorities were in the right place – I starting eating and no two-minute noodles were in sight.

Since arriving in Moscow, just under two months ago, and excluding money spent on transportation and accommodation, I had worked out how much I had spent on a daily basis on sightseeing and food and it wasn’t that much; only USD$3.05 per day and €5.11 per day, although there had been a price to this saving – my clothing.

Where my bank account had been making savings, my waistline was fading and the pants I had made in China, which fitted me beautifully then, and were a little loose after traveling through Asia and Central Asia, now fitted like a sack – they hung off me. It wouldn’t be such a problem, but as I am backpacking I don’t a lot of clothing with me.

Eating raw herring with onion - it's so seriously good
The problem with traveling with a small amount of clothing is that when the clothing no longer fits, you don’t have a lot of options left. Therefore I have been visiting my parents on a day basis getting ‘fattened up’ filling myself up with raw fish, pigs brain and sandwiches. It has been heavenly not to eat any noodles and eating all the yummy food I can get my hands on.

However, I did eat something untypically Dutch the other day when I went up to Amsterdam to hang out with a good friend of mine, Lisa.

After the day trying on wedding dresses (Lisa, not me), and planning honeymoons (Lisa’s, not mine), we had Indian. For months I have been dreaming of some good Indian or Thai food with coconut and shrimps and I wasn’t disappointed, except for the fact I ate my meal in one sitting so I didn’t have any for lunch the following day when Lisa and Martin ate their leftovers.

Reliving my youth
So to counteract these feelings of food envy I made my world famous* Saskia pancakes. (*World famous within my household and made from an old recipe which was passed down to me from my mother and how I learnt to make by my father.)

After eating our full of pancakes with applesauce on them, I had to catch the train home. Lisa, who has moved to Amsterdam from New Zealand six months ago, has recently taken up the Dutch pastime of cycling. She has been educating herself in the ways of the bicycle and has her bike license to prove it. She happily told me she has been practicing her craft by cycling around the streets of Amsterdam on her own bike and pushing another bike while she rode hers, but on this day she was going to cycle with me on the back of the bike to the Centraal Station.

Ah a nice photo of mam and pap
Happily I obliged as it meant saving money on a tram fare. (See above to see how well I can save money)

And here we were, in the centre of Amsterdam, cycling with me on the back – or should I say she was trying to cycle with me on the back. Lisa, in her defense, hadn’t really biked in her youth and now she was on this accelerated course in a country, which prides itself on biking. She did well, but in the end we had to swap places. I was to cycle and she was to sit on the back. Now I too hadn’t done this since my youth so there were a few nervous moments, but we got to the station with plenty of time to spare. In fact Lisa did say we weren’t in a race and we could take our time – I pretended not to hear her. I was reliving my past and pretended I was part of the Tour de France (minus the Pyrennes and the drugs).

Biking with my mam

The train ride down to Deurne was eventful – listening the Hamish and Andy podcasts mean that I crack up with laughter at moments that I cannot control. Normally this is acceptable practice, when home alone, but on a busy train the etiquette is slightly different and I had to explain to a carriage full of passengers I was ok and the tears were from laughter. Most believed me, but I did notice a few businessmen backing away from me carefully whilst keeping eye contact.

So my time in Nederland continues. I have a lot planned; cycling, eating, drinking endless cups of coffee and then some more eating. Life is good and if the family wants to fatten me up, who am I to complain? So long as I don’t need to see any two-minute noodles for a couple of weeks, I’ll be happy.

Tot de volgende keer

Saskia007 says:
Naturrlijk - zal ik doen :)
Posted on: Oct 08, 2010
journeynz says:
Hey Sis looking good (I wish my clothes hung like rags) :(
Say hi to mum and Dad and I'll see them soon
xox
Posted on: Oct 07, 2010
Yum!  Hollandse Nieuw
Yum! Hollandse Nieuw
Eating raw herring with onion - it…
Eating raw herring with onion - i…
Part of the Peel
Part of the Peel
Having read the directions wrong, …
Having read the directions wrong,…
Biking through de bos