Life Behind The Curtain

Dubai Travel Blog

Me enjoying the champagne in BUSINESS CLASS

Standing in the hotel bathroom washing my smalls is not quite the exciting end to a surprising day, but I’ll take it.

After clearing security in Amsterdam, I heard my name being called over the loudspeaker. I’m always excited when this happens as it usually means good things – however, today I saw a staff member walking around the gate and I was sure she spotted my luggage so I was a little nervous walking up to the counter.  How was I going to talk myself out of all this hand luggage?  I could try and wear the three jackets I was bringing back to New Zealand, but I would still have to explain the extra pair of shoes along with the two jumpers.  Nervously I told the gate staff that I had heard my name called.  They requested my boarding pass, which they proceeded to rip up in front of me and presented me with a new boarding pass but this time for Business Class.

Leaving Nederland
  I was delighted, especially as I could now have two pieces of hand luggage.

Yes the airline had selected me for the upgrade, as I was a valued Skywards frequent flyer.  In response to this lovely gesture, all I can say is ‘thank you very much Emirates’.

Not wanting to use my time sleeping, as I decided that the economy flight from Dubai to Auckland, which is about 18 hours, is the time to do that.  I did not want to waste this opportunity and waste it I did not.  I celebrated my good fortune with champagne, two glasses of sherry, two diet cokes, a port and a baileys and milk.  Yes I was living the high life.

I don’t mean to go on about how great Emirates Business Class is – but really I can’t help it.

The staff provided a mattress to make an already comfortable bed, even more comfy.  Yes, I got to lie fully flat while we traveled to Dubai.  But I think best of all though was the toiletries on offer.

In economy class it is the usual soap, paper towels and if you’re lucky you might be able to find the occasional sanitary product or a toothbrush.  In upgraded business class not only did we get to dine with silverware and napkins with the cutest little salt and pepper shakers, but in the bathroom there were flowers, toothbrushes, combs, cologne (men and ladies), razors, and my all time favourite thing – soft face cloths.  No more paper towels for me – at least not on that flight.

I am a little concerned though.  This sneak peak at what life is like behind the curtain was so nice that I am really not looking forward to the long haul flight back to New Zealand in cattle class.

How will I cope without the extra legroom, or the noise cancelling headphones?  How will I cope without the cute little salt and peppershakers and canapés to begin?

So to try and get myself back in my place and ready mentally for this upcoming flight, I have taken upon myself to set up a Chinese Laundry in my hotel room.  Clothes that I have washed are draped over lights, chairs and even swinging from the ceiling fan.

Yes I may have lived the high life for six hours, but like the 90s Ethan Hawke and Winona Ryder film, Reality Bites.

Goodnight from Dubai

keeweeset says:
That's great that you got upgraded! =)
Posted on: Dec 13, 2010
Me enjoying the champagne in BUSIN…
Me enjoying the champagne in BUSI…
The canapes and sweet sheery
The canapes and sweet sheery
Enjoying the flat bed and widescre…
Enjoying the flat bed and widescr…
The entree