The Countdown Begins

Auckland Travel Blog

Ok, so here it goes.

I'm quite nervous about this whole blogging if I'm honest. It seems a little conceited even. People may go 'why should I read what you have to say?' Good question - not sure if I have the answer for you yet, but at the end of this experience I will come out with a very detailed diary of my experiences and hopefully even better typing skills.

Dear Diary .....
You know how you always mean to do something, but never really had the time because of, well life getting in the way? and you always say it to yourself "one day ... one day I'm going to go on a huge adventure and see every country in the world". Well as it turns out, this blog is about one such thought. Well actually, that is a lie; I'm not going to visit every single country on this trip, but I am going to take in countries that I have always wanted to go to, but never had the time to see.

I think first before I start on this blog writing adventure I need to introduce myself. I am a travel junkie. People may scoff at the term but I am a travel junkie. I'm an addict and I have been for as long as I can remember. Personally I blame my mother. As a child I was forever travelling around with my parents, especially my mother back and forward to exciting places: Europe, Asia, North America, Australasia.

Being a travel junkie is a blessing and a curse at the same time. I am one of these people who has to see everything, go everywhere. I'm not content to sit at home and read about places and their history, I need to experience the sights and sounds of places, to live it, to taste it. And I think it is because of this desire to learn everything about cultures and history that I kind of fell into teaching History at high school. Well that and the fact the holidays are very good and it funds my passion.

But last year I reached a turning point. My form class of students graduated and I had been with them for 4 years and they were off on their next chapter of their life. I couldn't bear to get another form class so soon after these students graduated, and I wanted to have some more of my own adventures. I wanted to find me again. A little cliched perhaps, but the truth nonetheless. I had given so much to my students, I didn't have any time for me left. So I decided to go to places I had always wanted to visit, but where the two week school holidays were always too short for, places like Libya, Tunisia, Nepal, Uzbekistan, Iran and Russia.

So this will be me for the next 7 months. I depart Auckland on the 28 April and fly to Cairo to start this journey.
I probably won't write anything between then - if you think about it, what can I possibly write about? Sure I could write about the dilemmas about what to pack (I've worked this out already; 2 pairs of shorts, a pair of longs and 3 t-shirts for the entire time) and what visa I've recently got (a huge headache in itself - why don't a lot of these countries just open their borders to me? I'm polite. I want to spend money in their economy. I'm nice - Come on, let me in please?)

So until my next diary entry,
Haere Ra
Saskia007 says:
Thanks for your kind comments and sorry for the delay in replying. It was really exciting having my blog featured. I feel like I'm almost a professional travel writer :)
Posted on: Oct 10, 2010
pacificscorpio says:
hello....congrats on your featured blog! good work
Posted on: Jul 24, 2010
cneoridium says:
So jealous! All the places I'd like to see! : ) I'll have to read through your entries!
Posted on: Jul 24, 2010