A quick step into the Garden State

Holmdel Travel Blog

Alberto driving us to New Jersey

This part of my travels involved going to a concert in New Jersey, and then visiting N.Y.C for a couple days while my friend was in town. So I took a 'China bus' from Washington D.C to New York City--the bus picks up from right near the gallery pl-chinatown metro station and drops you off in NYC at Penn Station. It takes exactly three hours and costs approx $35-40 round trip. For this trip, I used Hola Bus, which cost me $35 round trip; they were on time, and the bus was not crowded so I got two seats to myself. I highly recommend taking these buses to and from NYC/DC because driving or flying between the two is just not cost effective. The tolls alone are more than $40 if you plan to drive yourself to DC/NYC from DC/NYC, and a ticket can be cost over $100. So grab a book and buy bus tickets the next time you consider going between the two.

our map--our technology failed on us, so we went old school to find our way

So when I arrived in NYC, I took the subway to meet up with my friend in the Bronx, where we borrowed his dad's car and drove south to NJ. My friend planned to use his phone's gps to get us there---which was strange in itself, but unfortunately the phone died, so we resorted to old school methods of maps and signs. We found our hotel just before we had to leave for the concert.

The concert we saw in NJ, was Crue Fest 2 (unfortunately all the photos I took of the concert with my phone vanished when my phone died in september)... the concert was awesome. Godsmack, drowning pool etc were very good, but were not in comparison to how awesome Motley Crue performed--those men have been rocking it for 20 years and they can still bring out the excitement in an all ages crowd.

We stayed in a Marriott in Tinton Falls, New Jersey. The Marriott was great, the room was a decent size and the staff was helpful. There weren't a lot of highlights (no free breakfast, I doubt there was internet, etc) but the location (right off the garden state parkway) and the staff were exceptional and made it a great one night rest stop. I'm sure if we had asked or were interested, we would have been amazed by the amenities etc... but we didn't look into it.

Alberto driving us to New Jersey
our map--our technology failed on …
our map--our technology failed on…
photo by: ditostar