Zambia

Livingstone Travel Blog

Hello hello!

My time in Africa is quickly depleting and I only have one more new country to conquer before I have to leave.  We spent two nights at Chitimba Beach Campsite in Malawi where four people from our group hiked Mt. Livingstonia (6am-4pm) while fourteen of us rented a flatbed pickup truck, a local guide and drove to the top in about an hour.  The whole way was switchbacks up the mountain in the mud (we did have to get out and push the truck up twice) but we were thoroughly rewarded with an unforgettable view of Lake Malawi and the surrounding area. Malawi is the poorest country in the world and the average life expectancy is 40 years old but the people are incredibly nice and happy and the scenery is surreal.  We also visited a huge local church that we climbed all the way up the steeple for a fantastic view, went to the museum and learned about the history of Livingstonia, got a tour of the hospital including the operating room, pharmacy, pediatrics, maternity ward and some labs which were all much better than expected.  We also hiked into see some beautiful waterfalls which I have temporarily forgotten the name of, but we walked into the park and into a cave underneath the falls!

The next day we drove south to Kande Beach Campsite where we would spend 3 nights alongside the lake.  We spent some time with the locals and got to visit a nursery and spend time with HIV/AIDS orphans, the local primary school and library, our tour guide's home where he lives with his children, wife and mother, the village and the medical clinic.  I also opted to do a 2 hour horseback ride through bush, on the beach, and swimming in the water on horseback! 6 of us went on the ride through the village, forest and then we ended up at the beach campsite where we unsaddled the horses, changed into our swimsuits, climbed back up on the horses bareback and rode them right into the water! It was a great time, definitely something I wouldn't do anywhere else! We had another day and then we packed up and headed for Zambia - a long 500km day drive.  We stayed the night at Mama Roules Campsite where we celebrated our friend Allenie's 25th birthday by toasting marshmallows and drinking amarulla hot chocolate around the campfire and watching world cup holland vs. uruguay.  The next day we drove another grueling 680km and arrived at our campsite for the night, which is also home to resident zebras and eland (gazelle type animals).  Watched the other semi final game last night (spain vs. germany) and we drove for the day today and arrived in Livingstone, Zambia where we will stay for the night before we head to Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe tomorrow and I will do a microlight flight from the Zambia side of the falls tomorrow morning!

Sorry for the short update, internet is ridiculously expensive and slow here - TIA (This Is Africa), so when I'm home (after the 14th) ask me for more details or if I have better connection before that I will update again! Love from Zambia.

Livingstone