Hello Africa!

Kigali Travel Blog

Hello to all from Rwanda!!

We arrived safe in Rwanda yesterday afternoon after a solid 40 hours of flying through London, Ethiopia, Uganda and finally Rwanda. We had an 11 hour layover in London so we took the tube into downtown for several hours and lots of us walked around and did all the touristy stuff - London Eye, Thames, Big Ben, Trafalgar Square etc! It was a great introduction to Europe, I cannot wait to go back someday.  We had all our bags (and volunteers!) arrive safe and were greeted at the airport by our team leaders.  We are all feeling good, except my feet swelled to the size of grapefruits so I can't wear anything except flip flops at the moment.

Rwanda is SUCH a beautiful country, I am already overwhelmed by the scenery, the culture and the people! We spent the afternoon at the hotel we are staying at in Kigali, the capital, before we will head to Gashora tomorrow.  Last night we went out to a very nice Moroccan restaurant for dinner; we took the hotel shuttle through downtown.  Rwanda really is the land of a thousand hills - we took a bus full of our group to the hotel and some people had to get out and walk up one of the steep hills out of our hotel because the bus couldn't make it!!

The hotel we are staying at is so much nicer than we expected, but it is only for 2 nights.  We were not expecting this at all and a few of us are a little bit disappointed to be staying in such a luxurious place - we feel it is separating us from the locals and we are being such tourists here.  Today we are probably going to a soccer game and the local market. We have one computer with internet here in the hotel which is free to use between the 300 guests.  The weather was gorgeous and hot yesterday, and very humid and cloudy today.

Sending love from Africa! Will update again as soon as I can but right now there's already 9 people waiting in line... I love you all!

orlarose says:
How exciting!!! I hope you are staying safe and that your transition is going as smoothly as possible :)

Lots of love,