Munich and Beer

Munich Travel Blog

Today we set out and got some breakfast at a biergarten.  We planned to go on a walking tour that started at 10:45.  Before the tour we went to two different churches.  In one of the churches we were able to go in the crypt where the royal family of Munich is all “buried”.  They were all just in coffins.  Then after that we took a free walking tour that went all over Munich.  We watched the Glockenspiel, visited a few churches, and saw some small memorials.  The tour was very good and Lindy and I left tips.  We learned an awful lot!

Later, we went to the Residence Museum of the Bavarian Kings.  We visited over 90 rooms, and saw lots of different things including silver, gold, and other royal items.

After the museum we were quite hungry.  We set out to find the Englisher Garten!  We found a biergarten that had a small cafeteria and got some good food!  I had four brats and Lindy had a chicken thigh.  I also got two ½ liters of brew!  For desserts we got a chocolate crepe which was amazing!  We walked around the park some more and then left back to our hotel.

Lindy’s Comments

Today was our first full day in Munchen!  We woke up and took the train to Marien Platz.  We decided to eat breakfast at the viktuallenmarkt where I had a good pastry.  We were planning on doing a 10:45 Munich Free Walking tour and it was 9:30 so we decided to wander and go to two local churches, the Frankirsche and the Michaelskirche.

Micahelskirsche had a large barrel ceiling and the tomb of Mad King Ludwig II.  Frauenkirsche had the footprint of the architect in it and old Gothic style.  We then headed to our “free” walking tour that lasted about 3 hours and covered main down town area and a lot of history from World War I and II.  It was good and very informative.  After this we ate lunch at Starbucks and headed to the Residence Museum and Treasury.  Bavarian kings lived in there until 1918 but most of it was destroyed in World War II.  We did get to see about 90 rooms that were remodeled or partially left over from their original designs.  There were some really neat rooms and then we headed to the treasury.  It had the old crowns and swords of the Kings, those were the best part!  After this it was dinner time and we decided to go to the Englisher Garten to eat and drink at one of the beer gartens there.  We ate on the lake and walked around trying break through my huge blister that is getting calloused over, it kind of hurts but I will survive, haha.

Bier and Brezel