Florence then on to Bologna

Florence Travel Blog

Lindy and I left our hotel and Rome the morning for good.  We are now on our way to Florence on the Euro Star train.  “Stan” is written a lot on the walls as Graffiti.

• We miss Bristol L

Things we will be doing today in Florence.

• The “Dumo” – main Cathedral
  • The Baptistery
  • Basilica di Santa Corce
    • Tomb of Michelangelo and Galileo

The church that stored the remains of Galileo and Michelangelo was under partial restoration but we were still able to see the tombs.  We are currently waiting for our train in Florence to Bologna.

I am really dehydrated for some reason and I did not sleep well last night.  I bought a leather bound blank book here today that I will use for notes and just use this one for a daily journal.  Perhaps I can use it for drawings as well.  I love being here, but I am starting to miss part of home as well.

• Train to Bologna was delayed about an hour because of a collapsed ceiling on the car
  • We went to the main square here and checked out the church that was never truly finished.

Lindy’s Comments

Today we hopped onto a morning train to Florence.  We made it for lunch and had some pizza and headed to the Santa Croce Basilica because Derek wanted to see Galileo and Michelangelo’s tomb which was there.  They were both neat to see but a lot of the church was behind scaffolding so we couldn’t see the main alter.

We then headed to the main Duomo, Santa Maria del Fiore.  We went inside the church, the only really cool thing in there was the awesome dome.  We then went to the Duomo Museum.  That was really neat, if it had all the art work they had taken from the Duomo over time and it also had a Michelangelo statue that was unfinished and supposed to be his tomb.  We then headed to the train station where we headed to Bologna.  We are staying in Hotel Paradise which has free internet, ac, and breakfast!  The room is tiny, typical of Europe, has a small shower but the bed feels relatively comfortable.  While in Bologna we wandered down to the main square and saw the church, we totally missed the towers!  We then ate dinner and had tortellini and Bologna (Sauce).  Good cheap dinner!  we also got to look at our wedding photos with our free internet.

Florence