Leaving Vienna and Heading for the roof of Europe- the Alps

Jungfraujoch Travel Blog

Now I have more time to write, and should continue my story. The next morning we have already many places to go. First we visited natural history museum, which is quite nice although I should confess that the one in New haven Connecticut might be better than that. Like all natural history museum, it has a statue of dinosaur to attract people, and it surely did its entire role. One of our colleague lost her passport in the city of Vienna, so what I needed to do in the meanwhile was to find an embassy for her and take her there. Fortunate that it was Vienna, a relatively safe city.

As a last joy, we visited Schonbrunn palace, which was the heart of Hapsburg dynasty. It has yellowish outlook, and has an eloquent apperance to represent its glory of the past, but sky was gray as was their end. The inside of the palace is very impressive, exquisite, expensive, baroque, rococco style plus some of greek feature,but mostly too expensive to touch or breathe. However, frankly, it was no match for Versaille (Viennese, lets admit this point as the Sun King Louis XIIII was far superior in his power in 17th century while Vienna just recovered from the siege of Osman turks) later on. But by that time, it was far better than any other palace than I've seen (spacious than Buckingham naturally). With the synergy of Mozart, and perhaps more musicians' hometown, vienna should remain as one of the top cities for art for 200 years. I also bought a souvenir at one antique store in front of the old city hall, a silver coin issued in 1889 having Franz Joseph. It is not expensive (quite different from what you expect, silver coins of late 19th century is not that high price unless it is struck very low number in royal mint), and has been a good souvenir since then. It was the last time I used Austrian Schilling.

Now it's time to go for Switzerland- an expensive but beautiful country. We bought some food in Austria as this tiny country is very expensive for everything paid by Swiss francs, and we put our luggage in Bern. The symbol of Bern was a bear, but obviously more serious than Teddy bear. Again it was a night train, and we were about to start our trip to Jungfraujoch. A coldest part of our journey in Europe before we go to the hottest part - Italy.

photo by: ruxaa