my trip ( the planning)

New Delhi Travel Blog

delhi at night
Here I am again, writing a blog for my latest trip to Amritsar-Jammu-Himachal... (C’mon I know it was Dec last year, but I didn’t really get time to write anything did I?)

So who traveled?

1) Me (jax): I work in a MNC in a Mumbai (India).. Though my life and work keeps me busy all year, I somehow find time to travel, which now has been an integral part of my life these days………

2) Tina- one of my best travel and personal buddy…. Works with me and oops loves to travel as much as I do

3. Krishna (Kris).. Another travel freak though has not traveled extensively but is trying to make sure that he covers it up within a few years

Christine... (Ki for short): my buddy from the land down under (Australia)... A lecturer in a university in Melbourne, calls herself travel freak, but I would admit, she cooks better than she travels ÔĀä

And finally Rachel who again is Christine’s colleague……….

NOTE: the blog contains no pics of Rachel and Ki, as they plan to use their pics for their own blog…..

It all started with an email from Christine.. She had missed our earlier trip to manali and was desperate not to miss this one… However the main reason for the email was to add that she would be joined by Rachel…. Now this was Rachel’s first visits to India and she wanted to make sure that she wanted to see the real India.. I.e. trains, food, locations etc( now I am not pretty sure, why anyone visiting India would be interested in seeing the dark side of Indian tradition.
. I for sure wouldn’t be interested in seeing a ghetto or the underground life if I visit any American city)

Now this confession by Rachel, posed an immediate threat to my plans including the travel bookings.. u know train ticket bookings in India are no easy task especially at the last moment… however with the few sources that I had train tickets were taken care of ….

The trip

Rachel and Ki reached Mumbai on 30th nov…..As per the schedule we boarded Golden Temple mail from Mumbai central on 2nd Dec… No the story goes that Golden temple mail is one the slowest train on this route and it lived up to its reputation…..The train left Mumbai at around 10 in the night…. We had booked of whatever was available of the train compartment….. we shared our compartment space with a few elderly guys working in one of India’s largest manufacturing company….
This helped as we didn’t have to bother about the stares that we usually receive while traveling with foreigners in India….. the train doesn’t provide any food the first night, but luckily we were full , thanks to a Domino’s pizza we had earlier in the evening…….

Kris and I Shared the lower berths of the compartment while Rachel, Tina and ki used the ones above…..

Around 9 In the morning, the train had already crossed Gujarat and we were in the lovely town of Ratlam...Kris and I used all time available to click as many pics as we could………. Now it was breakfast time… the best the Ratlam station could offer was hot pakodas (dumplings stuffed with potatoes, chilies and coriander) and Pepsi and coke cans…. The day passed quickly and we made sure that we took turns to sleep as the entire trip was planned in a hurry with no real time to sleep….

Amritsar

We reached Amritsar at exactly 6 in the morning‚Ķ Finding a decent and cheap hotel was not a difficult task thanks to my previous trips to this lovely city‚Ķ..the room cost us 600 per room excluding any food or beverages‚ĶThe hotel room had a strange heater which used cooking gas to heat the water ÔĀä‚Ķ.The girls and us got ready in a record time of 30 mins ‚Ķ.We moved to visit ‚ÄúTHE GOLDEN TEMPLE‚Äô which is the most holiest place for every Sikh in the world‚Ķ

The entire monument is so huge that it will take at least 6-8 hrs for anyone to go through every nook and corner.. we prayed our respects at the main durbar( main chapel) and moved towards the museum.. the temple has a museum which covers the Sikh religion history right from its roots … lovely artwork…….

Next to the temple, we then visited the Jallianwala bagh which recounts the horror of British tyranny over Indians.. The Jallianwala Bagh Massacre alternatively known as the Amritsar Massacre, was named after the Jallianwala Bagh (Garden) in the northern Indian city of Amritsar where, on April 13, 1919, 50 British Indian Army soldiers under the command of Brigadier-General Reginald Dyer opened fire on an unarmed gathering of men, women and children. The firing lasted for 10 to 15 minutes, until ammunition was running short. [1] Official British Raj sources placed the fatalities at 379, and with 1100 wounded.]Civil Surgeon Dr. Smith indicated that there were 1,526 casualties.

The Bagh still had the bullet marks of that day , preserved for almost 100 years… also we saw the well in which hundreds have been supposed to jump and drown just to avoid the bullets…

By the time we left the Bagh, it was already 2 in the afternoon and our stomachs were grumbling with hunger….

To be added soon