The Parajanov Museum

Yerevan Travel Blog

Having gotten to the museum late on my first day in Yerevan, I set out early this morning to get to the Sergey Parajanov Museum.  I did not know much about him before I got the museum - just that he was a Soviet era avante-garde film director.  He was imprisoned in Ukraine for not adhering to the strict principles of Socialist Realism in his movies and in his art.  I asked for a guided tour in either Russian or English, so obviously they chose to give me the tour in Russian.  The tour guide was well-spoken and easy to understand, if a little bit bored wiht the repetitive tour.
    Parajanov married a 17-year-old when he was over 30.  He was imprisoned in Ukraine after a mocking painting of the Soviet elite combined with films that did not adhere to Soviet doctrine.  He was friends with Andrei Tarkovsky, probably the most famous Soviet-era film director.  Mostly I enjoyed his art mosaics which I have added to this post.
    I spent a lot of time in cafes today near Republican Square just watching people walk by.
Yerevan