Are you married?...Ah, but you are still young!

Khiva Travel Blog

Every conversation in Uzbekistan begins the same way:
        Friendly Uzbek Person: Are you married?
        Kevin: No.
        FUP: ?!!!!!!  How old are you?
        K: 23.
        FUP: Ah, but you are still young!

After that I am asked about my parents and my sister, my home city, my job/education, and last, my salary.

I spent two nights in a wonderful guest house in Khiva's old town with a private room and bathroom for $15 including breakfast.  Khiva's old town is entirely enclosed by restored walls and is easily traversed in half an hour.  I visited a few uninteresting museums with exhibits including old coins and national dress, but it was much more fun just to walk around the city.  It was possible to climb the wall in one spot, although I was stopped from going very far by an overzealous cop.  Kids played soccer in the biggest square, and the ball frequently rolled away into a nearby courtyard.  The old town is basically an outdoor museum with unique tilework that I have never seen before.

I like eating at chaikhanas in Uzbekistan, but not because of the food.  During or after my meal I can lay back on the cushioned bench and take a rest.  At a chaikhana on my last morning in Khiva I met a family that had just celebrated a wedding the night before with 400 hundred friends and family!  Everyone in Uzbekistan is either on their way to, or leaving from, a wedding.
photo by: Vlindeke