The Science Changes Its Venue

Silver Spring Travel Blog

I just thought I'd get this blog started early.  Now that I have been accepted to at least one PhD program in Neuroscience (The University of Maryland - Baltimore), I know I can travel this Summer.  If I hadn't been accepted my carefully laid plans would have been torn asunder, and I would have to find another job to hold me over through the next application cycle.  I am glad that I do not have to go through the application process again.

Anyway, onto to more important things.  I leave my fellowship at the NIH on May 7.  I have to be at the 14th Internation Stress and Behavior Neuroscience and Biopsychiatry Conference in St. Petersburg, Russia on May 16.  I've been trying to find the time to present my college thesis work at this conference since I graduated.  This year I got around to submitting the abstract on time.  Because they are trying to attract young scientists, the conference has kindly decided to pay for my visa invitation, accomodation, registration fee, and for the social program.  This is a prize package worth about $800 - very generous.  The social program includes a boat ride in the canals, an expensive dinner, a chariot trip in a palace gardens, and a tour of the Institute of Experimental Medicine - where Pavlov performed his famous experiments.  I'm hoping to meet some of the scientists who work at the Institute.  Many of them do the kind of "psychiatry of stress" research I am interested in.  I would LOVE to be able to do a year-long Boren Fellowship project there.  I really have to get started on making my poster presentation.  Although the official language of the conference is English, I want to be able to present my poster in English and in Russian.

I will be making regular blog posts once the trip begins in May.  I've chosen to blog on travbuddy because of the automatic mapping system it has.

Silver Spring