Night train to Montenegro

Belgrade Travel Blog

I head away from Belgrade taking an overnight train. It seems like the ideal solution to the long travel down to Montenegro. Actually the distance doesn’t appear to be vast when you look at a map - but when you look at the timetable at the train station it’s a huge distance. So I decide to go for the sleeper instead of having to sit up during the night.

When I get to the station more than 10 minutes before the train is supposed to leave it is already there - and most of the passengers seem to be onboard. Me being the exception. But I find my bed for the night and store my luggage. I choose this train because it left at 10 past 10 and it would be in Bar really early in the morning - hence I would have plenty of time to explore the coast the next day.

We leave the station right on time and we head out slowly through the Belgrade suburbs. There is not much to see during the night so you might as well try to get some sleep.

Sleep on a train can be variable - and if I ever make a top ten of my best nights of sleep this night will not be featured high on the list. I wake up for good just a little bit before we are supposed to arrive in Bar. We are driving through a nice canyon landscape and it is nice sight to wake up to in the morning. But the train is not moving very quickly and I soon realize we will be delayed on arrival. As we get closer to the station the conductor pass by the cabins and declare we are just about to arrive in Podgorica - and not Bar. I guess this solve the puzzle I have been wondering about - why nobody had left the train in the capital of Montenegro. When we finally get to Podgorica most of the passengers leave the train.

Unfortunately the fact we are only in Podgorica means the train is about 1½ hour delayed and instead of getting to Bar very early it will be more like 9.30 or 10 before I will arrive cutting back on the time I thought I had to explore Bar.

When the train finally gets to Bar I get out and have a look for a place to store luggage - there are nothing immediately available and I give up on my plan of leaving my luggage at the station and go to the old town of Bar which is about 5k away from the station area. Instead I head down to the bus station where I meet a couple of woman going towards Albania. As we wait for our busses to arrive it turns out one of them have been doing the trip to and from Belgrade before - because she got a Eurorail pass and might as well use it. On the other occasion the train was 5 hours late - so I guess I should not complain too much about a delay of a measly 1½ hour. We head our separate ways me going north while they head south.

Marius1981 says:
great blog and congrats on the feture. i love belgrade, been there twice already. last year i made a trip very similar to yours. from belgrade to budva but i could only get there by bus as there were no trains that day. and you are right on the map looks a short way but it thru the mountains and it took the bus around 10 hours(with almost an hour spent at the border). budva is a great little place but what i really missed was kotor, and didnt have time to go and see it. so thats definitely on my list as i heared its a great place.
in may i'll be goin to sarajevo, via belgrade of course :)
safe travels!
Posted on: Apr 05, 2010
Sweetski says:
Riding trains abroad is always an adventure. It is almost a pity you travelled during the night, because as you said; nothing much to see. Great way to travel long distances through 'uninteresting' landscapes though :)
Posted on: Apr 04, 2010