Heading to Belgrade

Belgrade Travel Blog

The Kalemegdan Citadel

Spring seem to finally have arrived in Copenhagen - but it has been a very long time coming - and I could not wait any more. Hence I had to do something - find a place where it would be warmer than Copenhagen - some true spring would be nice.

I gave up on thronging darts this time around - I have had so many problems getting them to land somewhere I want to go. Instead I search plane tickets to somewhere within 5 hours travel from Copenhagen at a reasonable price. And up came Belgrade. I left Denmark - which was not feeling like spring anymore - we had the most rain for 24 hours in March for years.

I got out of the plane in Belgrade and it was nice - 22 degrees outside - what fantastic experience. I got to the town and unfortunately it seemed a bit like the rain is following me. The city got its first rains this week. What a letdown.

But I could not stay inside forever and finally made it outside walking down to the old city to see a bit of the old fortress up on a hill which is dominating the rivers of Danube and Sava. You can walk around the old fortress and there are a bit of a view down to the rest of the city.

The fortress of Belgrade is one of the most fought over military bastions in all of Europe. No less than 115 battles have taken place at the old Kalemegdan Citadel. Basically the one controlling the citadel controls Belgrade and the one controlling Belgrade control the area south of the south of the city.

RJ82 says:
awesome! good job on the blog feature!
ebbin says:
Congrats!!! Good one.
sarahsan says:
Congrats on your featured review! Aloha from Hawaii!
Looking out at the Sava River
Looking out at the Sava River
The Kalemegdan Citadel
The ? restourant - oldest one in t…
The ? restourant - oldest one in …
The church of Saborna
The church of Saborna
Saborna church
Saborna church
Palace of Princess Ljubica
Palace of Princess Ljubica
Belgrade Hostels review
Home of the crazy Viking
When I looked into a place to stay in Belgrade this one showed up with an excellent location. Considering I wanted something in easy walking distance … read entire review
Belgrade