Arriving in Christchurch.

Christchurch Travel Blog

Christchurch Catherdral

After arriving in Christchurch yesterday I was so exhusted I ended up in bed by 8.00pm.  I managed to sleep through the night really well - Im staying at Hotel SO in Cashel St.  I couldnt have asked for a better location - its right in the city centre and its a really funky, chic hotel.  As soon as I opened my door to my room I thought "god this is small" but me being on my own I didnt really care.  Im only there to sleep anyway and I have everything I need - ensuite, tea and coffee making facilities and the bed is so comfortable.  I would really recommend it to anyone.  When I first arrived, I paid in cash and the guy forgot to give me my change - he was so embarressed the poor thing!  I assured him it was all good :-)

As I woke up at about 7.

Avon River
00am this morning, I had my morning coffee, got dressed and packed my backpack for the day - now to make my way around the city of Christchurch!  Christchurch is a reletivly small city - I managed to walk around without having to rely on any sort of transport.  It sort of reminds me of Canberra in a way or even Perth but on a much smaller scale - no massive skyscapers like Melbourne or Sydney as the buildings around the city are all lovely gothic style.

So one of the first things I had to do was send some postcards - which took me forever - me being silly, I was looking for the same post boxes as what I would find in Sydney before relizing I should be looking for something totally different!  So I made my way to Cathedral Square - the main centre/tourist area of Christchurch thinking there would have to be one there - which there was :-)

Christchurch Cathedral is beautiful, I could have looked at it all day.

Christchurch Tram
  It was completed in 1904 and if you go inside you can view the lovely rose window from above.  For an extra $5 you can climb the cathedral stairs to get a view of Christchurch city from above.  Another intresting attraction in the square is the Chalise - an 'ice-cream' cone monument which was built in 2000 to celebrate the new mellenium.

After spending enough time in the square I made my way down Worchester St and made my way into the 'Cultural Precident' which houses the Art Gallery, muesum and botanical gardens.  This whole time Im looking at the sky above hoping that it wouldnt rain - since I arrived it has been really overcast but thankfully no rain - I hope it holds off till I leave.

One of my favorite things about Christchurch so far is the Avon River - gorgeous!  It runs right through the city centre and if you want you can do some punting - I didnt do this as Im travelling alone and it looks more for the romantic couple!  One thing that really suprised me was how shallow the river is - only a couple of inches deep in some parts.

Botanical Gardens
By this stage my feet are starting to kill me, so I went back to the hotel for some lunch - which I bought food to make sandwiches with.  Thats another thing about Christchurch - no major supermarkets like Woolworths or Coles like whe have in Australia - all convience stores which they charge through the roof for - but I did find a cheap Chinese takeaway - $2.50 for fried rice - and a big serving at that!

After lunch I made my way to Victoria Square, just half a block north of Cathedral Square.  After reading a bit about its history, intrestingly enough in 1850-1870 this is where the city centre use to be and where the Maroi's use to see their produce to the Europeans.  After the 1870's the area declined and thats when everything got moved to Cathedral Square.

Christchurch city
  One of the attractions here is the Floral Clock - which you can see photos of below.  Apparently 7,000 plants are required for each spring and autum for the design - I love it, but it did get voted 'tackest tourist attraction'. :-( After walking around the city some more I walked past the casino - and I have to say its the smallest casino I have ever seen!  I thought about going in but decided not to, maybe another day.

By this stage Im starting to feel exhusted so Im back at the hotel where Im writing this and deciding what to do tomorrow.  Thinking about going to New Brighton and Lyttelton where there is meant to be a really good Fish and Chip shop - mmmmm!

Avon River, Mill