Museums and Red Light

Amsterdam Travel Blog

bike riders

I got up later than planned, and headed to Dam Square. Along the way, I did notice a lot of people on bikes, and a separate traffic light for bikes. I did think about renting a bike, but after struggling to ride one in my last trip, I decided to pass on it. Maybe next time.

I went to see more of the city, passing along Kalverstraat and then on Liedsestraat. No idea how to pronounce these street names. I did find a cheap supermarket, which looked like only locals shopped there. I don't recall the name, but a huge bottle of water there, costs less than buying half that size at a shop near the hostel. I wished I found this place before, which would have saved me some money.

I went along Liedsestraat, passing by expensive shops on fashion and cafes. I did stop by one clothing store, Metz & Co.

view of Amsterdam (seen from top of Metz & Co)
Not to shop but to the cafe at the top, where I could see the top of the city. I felt like I had to buy something to justify my visit there. So I overpaid for a Coke, costing 3 euros. I got nice views though.

I continued along, to a square called Leidseplein, with one street called Restaurant Row. If I had more money to burn, I would definitely try some of those places. And a cafe, from what I read, that actually serves marijuana. I didn't bother to check out that place. Instead, I moved on, until I reached the Rijksmuseum.

This museum focused on Dutch art from the Golden Age. I toured around the place, looking at the paintings. I would learn about Rembrandt van Rijn, considered one of the greatest Dutch painter of all time. I often hear his name referenced in TV shows and movies.
view of Amsterdam
More about it in the review here, but the place was currently going under renovations.

After the museum, I went to Museumplein, a park that is between the Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh Museum (which I'll visit next). There, I would see the "I Amsterdam" sign, and see people climbing on it.

Then to the Van Gogh Museum. More about the museum in the review here, but I have to say, it is disappointing that some paintings were not there. When following a museum tour in the guidebook, I can definitely understand Vincent Van Gogh and the struggles he went through.

After the museum, I was going to walk back, but my feet were hurting really badly, so I decided to take a tram back to Dam Square.
Rijksmuseum
Well, when getting on board, there was a booth, where I paid the fare. I fell asleep and ended up at Central Station. Then I walked on my way, feeling really tired.

Along the way, I was approached by 2 French guys, asking me where a bank is, but I thought they said "bunk", so I led them towards the hostel. When they told me bank, that was when I had to lead them to Damrak, where we parted ways. I was not exactly sure, and was tired, cold, and sore, to deal with this further. And I wasted everyone's time. I should have said "I don't know".

I was back at the hostel, and took a nap. When waking up, I walked around the Red Light District, which is what Amsterdam is known for. It got the name because of the prostitutes who had red lights outside of their windows. Not really sure how the origin and how it got stuck with it.
Van Gogh Museum
I'd pass by unusual places like a condom shop, and see men coming out of the booths. ;) The area is basically in-your-face, kinky stuff, out in the open. Not really judging, just observing. There was one particular narrow alleyway, which has room for only one-way traffic, making it very close to the prostitute booths. Perhaps the most unusual sight in the area, is the Old Church, which does seem out of the place, when you really think about it.

I was about to head back to the hostel, until I ran into the guys, who were about to head out to look for a place to eat. I joined them, and suggested the Thai takeout place. So we went there, and got our food, then returned to the hostel to eat there. It was fun hanging out with them, and they headed back out, while I went to the room, to sleep.

WalterC says:
Yeah, I'll hold on to my camera, thank you very much! :)
Posted on: Dec 23, 2015
Paulovic says:
Where are the pictures of the red light district?? :D
Posted on: Dec 23, 2015
WalterC says:
You probably did not! :)
Posted on: Jul 24, 2015
bike riders
view of Amsterdam (seen from top o…
view of Amsterdam (seen from top …
traffic light for bikes
traffic light for bikes
tower
tower
Leidseplein
Leidseplein
cat
cat
Latin for people, dont pee in th…
Latin for "people, don't pee in t…
chess board, with white making fir…
chess board, with white making fi…
Museumplein
Museumplein
Amsterdam Sights & Attractions review
Dutch art from the Golden Age
The Rijksmuseum focuses on Dutch art from the Golden Age, which was mostly in the 1600’s. At this time, Amsterdam was a commercial power, enjoying i… read entire review
Amsterdam Sights & Attractions review
Must see museum
This museum houses the artwork of Vincent Van Gogh, a Dutch artist who started painting at a very young age, and has moved around. His artwork tells t… read entire review
Amsterdam