Day in Haarlem

Haarlem Travel Blog

Grote Kerk

It was time to leave Amsterdam, so I had to pack everything, and say goodbye to the people that I have met in this hostel. After checking out, I walked to Central Station, and had to buy a ticket from the desk, since the machine was not accepting my credit card or cash, which I thought was unusual. And buying from a desk, a fee is charged, which is retarded.

I got on the train, and it left Amsterdam, and headed to Haarlem. Along the way during the ride, I got to see a windmill and farmland, which used to be part of the North Sea. The ride was short, and once I arrived, I hopped on a bus to my next hostel.

I was not sure where to get off, as the guidebook was not clear about that. I kept looking for street signs, hoping I did not miss my stop. When I passed the street that I think I was suppose to get off at, I quickly got off, and went back to that street.

view of Haarlem
Only that it was not the right one. So I looked at the list of stops, and saw that the name of the hostel was also the name of the stop. As it turned out, I actually did get off at the right stop, but not realize it. So I walked back, and there it was, Stayokay Haarlem. More about the hostel itself in the review here.

I checked in and dropped my things off. Since it was off-season, there was plenty of room. The place did have more of a hotel feel. Afterwards, it was a bus ride back to town. Then walked to the main square.

I walked around Market Square, mainly looking at the buildings in the area, like the Town Hall and Meat Hall. Not nearly crowded, as the place does seem to have more locals. Then I went to Grote Kerk, which is the large church building that stands out the most in the square.
canal
More about it in the review here!

When exiting the church, I followed the signs to the Frans Hals Museum. As it turned out, it was a mistake, because I was led around a block, when going down a narrow street would have been faster. The museum was located on what appeared to be a quiet, residential street. More about the museum in the review here.

After the museum, I went to the De Adriaan Windmill. With Holland being known for windmills, I figure that I visit one of them. I did not have too much trouble finding it, and I did make it for the last tour. More about touring the windmill in the review here.

Afterwards, I walked around the windmill, getting a better view of it.
windmill along canal
Then around the block, and headed back to Market Square. Mainly to people-watch, as it seemed like a lot of Dutch teens were hanging out there. Haarlem does feel like a small town. I did try some fish called a herring, with onion. I have to say, it was not exactly good. But I figure try something new for change.

I would head back to the hostel, and just take care of some business. I had to do some laundry, and the tough part was the dial, which was in Dutch only. I had to ask one of the staff to help out with that.

I spent the rest of the day, trying to plan out my next day, as I considered doing 4 towns in 1 day. And get to meet the only other person sharing the same room as me.

cotton_foam says:
I tried herring in Oslo, and I liked it so much! No onions though the one I tried.,.
Posted on: Jan 23, 2016
WalterC says:
Yeah, the onions were especially strong!
Posted on: Dec 23, 2015
Paulovic says:
A pity you didn't like the herring with onions. It's delicious and very healthy. :)
Posted on: Dec 23, 2015
windmill
herring
herring
Great Church
Located on Market Square in Haarlem, this church was built over a 150-year period (1390-1540). It was called St. Bavo, as it was originally Catholic. … read entire review
Haarlem Hostels review
Cheapest option in Haarlem
Difficult to find in the city of Haarlem (about an hour away from Amsterdam by train), the Stayokay Haarlem Hostel is a bit out-of-the way from the at… read entire review
Nice museum on the Golden Age
A bit of a walk from the main square, the Frans Hal Museum is located down on what looks like a residential street, and not clearly marked. Following … read entire review
Interesting and informative tour
The De Adriaan Windmill was a functional one at one time, built in 1779 and burned down in 1932. It would not be rebuilt and opened until 2002. Locate… read entire review
Haarlem