City Tour

Amsterdam Travel Blog

Central Station

I started the day, with touring the City, following along the guidebook. It began at Central Station, and I headed there. Along the way, I heard knocking on windows, which were prostitutes trying to get my attention. Yes, even in the morning daylight.

Once at Central Station, I walked down Damrak, passing by the Sex Museum (which I did not go to), and stopping by a place to try French fries with mayonnaise, which is a Flemish thing. It was good, but I did not like the paper cone. I continued on, til I reached Dam Square. There was the Royal Palace, which was going through renovations, so with the scaffolding, I did not get a good view of the building. I went inside the New Church, which was a museum that I had to pay for. I just wanted to look at the church interior, but could barely get a peek.

canal

I went down the pedestrian street, Kalverstraat, which had shops and fast-food chains. I stopped by the hidden Catholic Church, which was that way, back when Catholicism was illegal in the late 1500's. It was not open, so I moved on, to the Amsterdam History Museum. I just went around the courtyard, planning to see the museum later.

I continued on to the Begijnhof, which was a place where the women lived, the ones who dedicated their lives to God, but not exactly nuns, going back to the 14th century. Hard for me to explain. Photos were not allowed of the homes and its residents, but I did take pictures of the 2 churches that I visited. One of them was a Catholic church, while the other an English church, and I could see the difference between the 2.

I went back to the hostel, and on the way, is when I noticed the canals, which are throughout the city.
me eating fries with mayo
Just something unique, as if they are rivers along the streets. I did get lost, but found my way, by following signs leading me to Central Station. Once at the hostel, I just rested, as I was really feeling tired, and had to take care of some business on the computer.

Afterwards, I am back out, and to the Amsterdam History Museum. I bought a museum pass called the Museumkaart, costing about 40 euros. It included most of the ones that I planned to visit, saving money in the long run. I toured this museum, focusing on some parts, and skimmed through others, as it is very extensive. The fun part was playing with the bells. More about it in the review here.

After the museum, I continued to tour the city, passing by the Mint Tower, and the Flower Market, as the Netherlands is known for its tulips.
canal
At this point, I decided to visit the Anne Frank House. It would be quite a walk, but I figure visit it and get it out of the way. I did get there, and would have enough time to tour the house. More about it in the review here, but it is unfortunate that the place is going under renovation, which meant that Anne's original diary was not on display.

I walked back to the hostel, and met a few people who were in the same room as me. There was one guy from Spain, who just moved to Amsterdam. And 2 guys from Finland, visiting a friend in the Netherlands. We all decided to grab dinner and find a bar to hang out at. We walked around the Red Light District, until we came across an Asian restaurant called Wok. We chose the components and they cook them together. I got rice, chicken, and pepper Beijing sauce. I ate and was very satisfied, as this actually filled me up.

We walked around, until we went to a bar to hang out. In this bar, there was a black cat who lives there, and jumped on the bar table. Too bad that I did not bring a camera with me. After that, I went back to the hostel, and took care of some things, before going to bed.

WalterC says:
For me, it's just sleeping in bed all day long, as I tend to get very lazy. :)
Posted on: Feb 18, 2016
monkeymia79 says:
Completely understandable, I'm the same when travelling.

Lots of energy some days whereas other days I just want to sit in the park and read a book. lol
Posted on: Feb 17, 2016
WalterC says:
Yeah, just bad timing! And sometimes, I am surprised that I get a lot done in one day, as there are times when I don't feel like getting up at all.
Posted on: Feb 17, 2016
Damrak
Damrak
Sex Museum entrance
Sex Museum entrance
general info on Sex Museum :)
general info on Sex Museum :)
Stock Exchange
Mint Tower
Mint Tower
Amsterdam Sights & Attractions review
Definitely worth visiting
Also called the Amsterdam History Museum, it traces the history of Amsterdam, starting with how the city started, how it grew, how it went from Cathol… read entire review
Amsterdam Sights & Attractions review
Must see and very interesting
This building was the hiding place for Anne Frank and her family, to hide from the Nazis, who were rounding up the Jews during World War II. The Frank… read entire review
Amsterdam