Churches and Stadium

Amsterdam Travel Blog

Belle, monument to sex workers

I was awaken by a girl, who spoke loud on her cell phone. So annoying, as it has not occurred to this girl that there are people sleeping. It's amazing how stupid people can be.

I ate breakfast and would hang out with the same guys for the last time, as 2 of them will be leaving town shortly. It was a great meeting and hanging out with them.

I would continue walking around the Red Light District, starting at Belle, a monument to sex workers. And a peeing sign, pointing to a urinal. I walked around the Old Church, then along one of the canals, until I reached the Amstelkring Museum, also called Our Lord in the Attic - A Hidden Catholic Church. More about it in the review here.

Afterwards, I went to the Old Church. This place did not seem to have much.

Our Lord in the Attic
A pipe organ and a winding staircase, but that's it. The place has been stripped away of the Catholic images, when the Protestants took over Holland. So not much left, and not much to see. Luckily, I had the museum pass, otherwise not worth the admission price.

I continued to walk around, seeing the canals around the city. Kind of like Venice, but kind of different in other ways, as vehicles are allowed in Amsterdam, even along the canals. I would head to Chinatown, and took a peek inside the Buddhist temple. After that, I continued on and saw another "I Amsterdam" sign. I pass by more crazy places, like the Erotic Museum. And no, I did not visit them, since they were not covered by the museum pass. Maybe some other time.
Olympic Stadium

Next place I would head to, is the Olympic Experience. Getting there, I would ride a tram all the way, which was pretty far. And not pay at all. Yes, I would get a free ride all the way, but would get off a little early. So I had to walk to the stadium, the rest of the way.

I got there, and would enter the stadium. There was a museum inside, which was about mainly about the Olympics. After the museum, I walked around the track, seeing the cauldron, which was way up high. Amsterdam hosted the Summer Games in 1928, and this was the first time the Olympic flame had been lit, which has been a tradition in every Olympics since then. More about visiting the museum part in the review here. Let's just say, I can see why this place does not have any tourists.
Red Light District

Afterwards, I headed back, and yes, I did pay this time. I got off near the Mint Tower, and walked around for a bit, until I got some fast food. Then went back to the hostel, as I got tired of walking around. So I went back to the hostel, to nap for a while, only to be awakened by the same girl talking on her cell phone.

I went back out and walked on the pedestrian street, where I would stop by a shopping mall. I went to the top, where I could get a panoramic view of the city. But it was too dark to see, and not worth overpaying for something to justify staying there. So I passed, and went back to the hostel. I went to the supermarket to buy some things, then back to the hostel.

I just hung out there for the rest of the night, and took care some of business. This would be my last full day in Amsterdam.

WalterC says:
I stayed in a place called Heart of Amsterdam.
Posted on: Apr 19, 2010
vulindlela says:
What hostel did you stay in?
Mine was in the red light area also.
It was called The Shelter.
Posted on: Apr 15, 2010
tram
tram
Amsterdam Sights & Attractions review
Not worth visiting
The Olympic Experience in Amsterdam, consists of the stadium and museum. Amsterdam had hosted the Summer Olympics in 1928, and this was the first time… read entire review
Amsterdam Sights & Attractions review
worth checking out
Museum Amstelkring, also known as Our Lord in the Attic, was a Catholic Church. A tall building that now serves as a museum. The top 3 floors of the h… read entire review
Amsterdam