Not Knowing

Amsterdam Travel Blog

I caught the train out of Cologne, and would have to make 3 connections. But it was the cheaper option, so I took it. Along the way, the train was stopped, and I saw police cars there. No idea what was going on, and when asking one of the ticket guys, he just told me that they stopped because of police. And would not give any further explanation. I was not happy because that caused me to miss my connection at one of the stops.

I did not realize that I crossed the border into the Netherlands, until I heard some people speak a language that did not sound German, plus a rail map telling me that the town I was in, told me that I was no longer in Germany. No passport check at all. I guess that is how it is in the European Union.

I would miss 2 connections, causing me to arrive into Amsterdam an hour later than planned. Once there, I went to the hostel, which I had booked for 2 nights, but neither was this night. So I hoped that there was still a bed available. I left the train station, and walked down Damrak.

I got to the Heart of Amsterdam hostel. More about it in the review here. I hoped there was still space. And it turned out they did. So I was able to check in that night. Just glad that I have a bed to sleep on, and not have to break my budget. I did not realize that I would stay at a hostel in the Red Light District.

WalterC says:
Thanks for the congrats everyone!
Posted on: Nov 29, 2011
Ils1976 says:
Congrats on your featured blog Walter!
Posted on: Nov 24, 2011
mdalamers says:
No and Yes Walter! No, traveling within the European Union does not mean no border patrol. Travel to the UK and you have the complete pleasure of border checks and passport control. Yes, traveling within the Schengen Countries (the countries that signed the Schengen treaty) usually means no passport checks. You can travel to e.g. Norway and Iceland, both not in the EU but Schengen countries, and still have no passport check.
Posted on: Nov 24, 2011
Amsterdam Hostels review
Cheap place to stay
Located in the Red Light District, and not too far from Central Station, this hostel is an okay place to stay at. And around 5 minutes from Dam Square… read entire review
Amsterdam