Finally not alone anymore

New Delhi Travel Blog

After one day of new impressions and complete culture shock, it was time for the second day in New Delhi. I woke up around 4 in the morning and could not sleep anymore. I watched TV on the huge flat screen in the room and I waited until 7.30. Then I went outside and right then, the bus with the rest of the group arrived. Finally I had someone to talk to and we all went to have breakfast. After breakfast we spent a few hours by the pool before we headed out for sightseeing. Jama Masjid, a huge mosque, was the first stop.we had to put on a dress like thing (I got mine in a "beautiful" green color). We had to take off our shoes so we ran a little around in the mosque because the floor became so hot.
We could by socks but we didn't bother, we wanted the authentic experience. Our guide told us a little history before we could walk around on out own for a few minutes. The next thing on the itinerary was a rickshaw ride in Old Delhi. The streets were narrow, the electricity cables everywhere, and small shops on each side of the street. There were mopeds where the rickshaws could barely fit by themselves. I think it would have been fun to walk around by ourselves, but the guide told us that we would most likely come back without our wallets, so don't think I will do that. It was a really fun, interesting ride and our tour leader actually managed to fall out of the rickshaw! (It was kind of funny...!)

We went to Raj Ghat, a memorial for Mahatma Gandhi. It was pretty much just a flame burning.
.. not the most interesting, but I guess you have to see it if you visit New Delhi. We didn't go very close because then we would have to take off our shoes again and most people didn't want to do that. I didn't mind because it honestly didn't look that special.

We got back to the hotel, everyone was kind of tired, and then we had a couple of hours to relax before we headed out for dinner. We were all excited to try real Indian food. We went to an area that was called Saket. Imagine our disappointment when we realized it was a vegetarian restaurant that didn't serve alcohol!! Everything had been pre ordered, so the waiters just came and put food on our plates. It was not that it tasted bad, but it just didn't taste much at all, and the things that tasted, tasted the same as everything else. It was a nice place, but I will not go back there. I am and will probably always be a meat eater so no more vegetarian for me!
It had been a long day and everyone was suffering from jet lag and we weren't done with dinner until 10! So when we got back everyone went to bed and I think we all fell asleep as soon as out heads hit the pillows.
New Delhi