La Fortuna for some volcano action

La Fortuna Travel Blog

Plato typico. MMMM!
Today we drove about 4 hours from San Jose to La Fortuna, home of reportedly the world's most active volcano, Arenal. Driving through the town and the surroundings, we see a lot of great hotels and resorts, and we are pretty happy with our choice (booked in advance on Expedia), Volcano Lodge. The grounds and gardens are beautiful and we have a little deck with a view of the volcano (which is shrouded in clouds most of the day). We grab a quick lunch at Sula, the hotel restaurant--delicious. Plato typico includes a piece of fish, rice, beans, salad, and plantains. Yum!

Instead of doing an organized tour of the Volcano for $85, we just drove ourselves to the Arenal National Park, where the entry fee was $10 each. There were signs warning us to "enter at our own risk" due to the active volcano, but I guess we like to live on the edge and walked right in. The hike to the volcano was pretty easy except for some rocky areas with a little climbing required. At the end there was a viewing area where we could clearly see the volcano spewing and sputtering. Pretty cool!

After happy hour at the hotel (two-for-one screwdrivers), we went with Trip Advisor's recommendation and ate at Don Rufino in La Foruna. Very good, although it seemed pretty pricey compared to the other places we saw.

In the evening, we were disappointed that we couldn't see the volcano boiling over, which is supposed to be quite a cool sight. Oh well - next time!
Marina2710 says:
is there anything worth seeing in La Fortuna itself? How long do you think a visit should be?
Posted on: Jun 21, 2010
Sweetski says:
Visiting an active volcano (well, watch from a safe distance anyway) is still on my 'things to do' list. I hope you get to take nice pictures of flowing lava :)
Posted on: Mar 25, 2010
Plato typico. MMMM!
Steve with his plato typico.
Steve with his plato typico.
Volcano Lodge pool.
Volcano Lodge pool.
Me and our rental wheels.
Me and our rental wheels.
Fleur.
Fleur.
Volcano Arenal, shrouded in clouds.
Volcano Arenal, shrouded in clouds.
Danger is my middle name!
Danger is my middle name!
Hiking to the Volcano.
Hiking to the Volcano.
The hike to Arenal.
The hike to Arenal.
Arenal spewing fire and brimstone.
Arenal spewing fire and brimstone.
Volcano viewing.
Volcano viewing.
Checking email :^)
Checking email :^)
Happy hour at Volcano Lodge.
Happy hour at Volcano Lodge.
La Fortuna Hotels & Accommodations review
Great view, nice and neat.
Fortuna has a great number of nice resorts, and my husband and I were very happy with our choice -- Volcano Lodge. The price was reasonable and our ro… read entire review
La Fortuna