Sitting and Waiting

Nairobi Travel Blog

Sitting and waiting
Sept. 19: Today I learned that nothing ever goes the way you plan it in Merueshi. Not that its a bad thing, because here you have all the time in the world to get things done. Its sort of a joke that everyone is on Maasai time, meaning that time is no factor at all. People will say to be somewhere at 12 and show up an hour later. Not at all like the US! So, basically I was supposed to learn how to make Maasai jewelry today but the girl who was supposed to help me didnt show up. So I went with all the guys to help with the pipeline. We went to get the truck ready and it wouldnt start. So we spent about an hour trying to make it work, but the effort was futile. I got to pet a donkey though. They are so cute! Really, I think I have a new favorite animal. They look like my dog.
Attempting to fix the truck

Since the truck wouldnt run, we ended up walking the approximately 7 km to the work site. Normally, this is not that far at all, but it was noon on the equator and there werent many clouds or trees along the way. So that meant having the sun beating down on us the entire way. We got about 2/3 of the way there and stopped for some water, and Moloke came by on his bike and offered me a ride. I happily accepted. Moloke is my age so we get along quite well. And he has really nice pecs. But you know, anyone can go to the gym and get muscle but hes muscley from fighting lions and stuff! Talk about a man! Whoo! Anyway, The bike ride was exciting; I almost got stabbed by the bushes on the side of the path. Literally stabbed. The thorns are like giant, deadly toothpicks.
Discussing the fate of the water pipeline

We finally got to the road and found out that the people who were supposed to come help us attach the pipes had already been by, but since we were busy trying to fix the truck, they had left already. So we gave them a call and they said they would come back. And then we waited. For two hours. Just chillin under a tree. All the Maasai were talking and laughing, but I had no idea what they were talking about so I fell asleep. Sometime in the two hours of sitting we had Maasai soup which is just water with a bone boiled in it. So far all the food has been good here, but that stuff was really not pleasant. Kind of like burnt dirt.
People finally came and started working. I wanted to contribute, but I could feel my skin burning, and I looked at it and realized I had gotten a minor sun rash. Im quite red now. Chris got us some Fanta and Coke in glass bottles, which was nice, and then the truck came to get us. We got back and had lunch and a nice chat with the chef Karaoke. Thats really his name, although it might be spelled differently. Hes a really cool guy. We rested, had dinner, and talked. I had a good chat with Moloke, which consisted of lots of nodding and naming stuff in Maah, with occasional counting. I can count to 20 in maah now! Kakuta came back from visiting his dad in Nairobi with Sipoi, Quenya, and Lapoppet, and Kaboli, a warrior who had been working in Mombasa. It was really funny, they had all been drinking, which I didnt know the Maasai did. I guess its not common but the young men like to drink to rebel. Sound familiar? They were all extra friendly, especially Sipoi. Its great, he was exactly like some of the people I know in the US when theyre drunk.
Attempting to fix the truck
Discussing the fate of the water p…
Discussing the fate of the water …
Nairobi