Mt. Kilimanjaro

Nairobi Travel Blog

Ancient mancala board!
Sept. 18: Today was good for the most part. We went on another nature hike with Nangalesh and Scotty. A Maasai named Scotty sounds like a band name. Ha. Anyway, we hiked to Mancala mountain, so named due to a very old (probably hundreds of years) mancala board in the stone along the way up. Nangalesh was trying to explain it but it was different then I know it and he was speaking Maah. We also found a hole you can get water from if you have a long straw. They make them by stripping the bark off a twig. When we got to the top of the mountain, we had the most spectacular view. We could see Merueshi and the school and the rolling hills in the background. I kept thinking about the Lion King (everything the light touches will be yours). And then on the other side we had a clear view of Mt.
Me and Mt. Kilimanjaro!
Kilimanjaro. Not many people get to be in that situation: standing on a small mountain with a Maasai warrior looking at Mt. Kilimanjaro wow.
We came back down the mountain and Nangalesh kept joking with us and saying Merueshi was in some odd direction. But my dad and I were not fooled! We have impeccable senses of direction! We stopped by Scottys boma and had chai in his hut. It was very cramped but surprisingly cool. Nangalesh said some day maybe I would marry a Maasai and live in a hut like this. I just said maybe and left it at that. Scottys wife Jocinta came in with her baby who was absolutely adorable. He was always smiling at us! Jocinta gave me one of her bracelets, and Im not sure why but it was such a beautiful gesture. Kakuta said later it was probably because having visitors from far away in her boma was a very big deal.
Holding baby goats with Nangalesh and Scotty
It was very touching.
We finally got back and ate breakfast and rested until lunch. I was feeling very homesick, not in the normal sense but because I have no communication with anyone right now. I feel like I have no one to really talk to about the things I want to talk about. I have no one to share the experiences Im having with. Plus my camera battery died and I lost the charger on the plane. Boo. So I was not in a very good mood and was getting really sick of all the dust and sweat that never goes away! I swear, that dust will get everywhere. I can just sit outside for a little bit, go to my hut, wipe my face off with a handiwipe and theres a film of dirt left on the wipe. Crazy.
Later, we went to talk to the school kids. They were all assembled and we were supposed to talk, but we didnt prepare anything.
Scotty's wife and baby
They asked us some questions, but were very shy. Some of the questions were difficult to answer, like how many tribes do you have in America. One of the kids asked where we get our water and it broke my heart to say we just go and turn on a faucet and we have fresh water. They have to walk miles and miles for water that isnt even entirely fresh. After school we rested again, then had tea and went to Mama Kakutas boma. She is such a sweet lady! Very jovial. And there were little kids there who thought my dad and I were absolutely hilarious. We could just say sopa and they would run away and laugh! I think white people are a novelty. The kids were playing together and it was very cool to watch because it was just like watching American kids play. This is such a wonderful community.
We had dinner and I took a shower. Normally, a shower wouldnt be too exciting. Certainly nothing to write about in a blog. But when your feet are hot and sweaty and dirty, and you feel sticky and covered in dust all day, a shower is a beautiful, beautiful thing.
Me and Mt. Kilimanjaro!
Holding baby goats with Nangalesh …
Holding baby goats with Nangalesh…
Scottys wife and baby