Amboseli

Nairobi Travel Blog

Zebra!
Sept. 20: Good day today. We left for Amboseli resort to go on a safari. On the way out, we stopped by the water line and I took a few swings with a pickaxe. Its hard work, and theyre laying 7 km of pipe that way. Wow. We drove about an hour on the main road between Kenya and Tanzania, which is dirt with occasional rocky potholes. Makes me actually appreciate the roads in Spokane! Amboseli kind of reminded me of Jurassic Park when we got there. We checked in and it seemed like Kakuta knows everyone. Its really nice to travel with him! And I got very positive reactions to my Maasai jewelry all day.
Dad and Kakuta had a talk so I decided to go to the pool. I slathered on sunscreen, but the sun is so strong here that after only a few minutes I could feel myself burning.
HIPPO!
The pool was so nice though. I actually felt cool and clean! And while I was lying in the sun I happened to look up and saw a family of elephants walking by. Crazy!
Later, we went on an evening safari. Zebras and wildebeests were everywhere, crossing the road and meandering around. I really like the zebras; theyre very surreal. We also saw elephants, hippos, ostrich, hyenas, lions and warthogs! It was like I was in the Lion King. It was so cute though, we saw a mom and a baby elephant in the water and the baby kept trying to nurse but it couldnt get under its mom because of the water. It tried anyway though and kept sinking into the marsh! Every now and then youd see its trunk stick out for air. We also went to an observation hill and saw Cape buffalo, which apparently are the most dangerous animal in Africa. Hippos are really dangerous too. Speaking of hippos, Kakuta pointed out a hippo in the water a very long way away and it took me about an hour to actually see it. I swear, he has crazy good vision; it was just a little brown speck in the water!
Im really glad we went on safari but I cant imagine doing that more than one day. I feel very fortunate to have the experience in Merueshi, because that is the real Africa. I really am excited to go back and see the warriors again!
Kakuta and me taking in the scenery
Kakuta and me taking in the scenery
Baby elephant!
Baby elephant!
Hyena and her young
Hyena and her young
Warthogs!
Warthogs!
The main highway between Kenya and…
The main highway between Kenya an…
Nairobi