Day 48 (2): Ferocious mosquitoes

Baku Travel Blog

Baku at night
Thanks to the people I met here and/or travelled with: 43 mosquitoes (Azerbaijan)

Back in Baku I decided to do as the locals do and went for a stroll along the Bulvar at sunset. At night the whole centre of Baku is wonderfully lit and becomes a much nicer place in fact. I hadn't been overly impressed with Baku, the whole city just seems like one big construction pit (particularly in the main shopping area), but at night the place certainly has some charm.
I strolled around the Bulvar for a couple of hours, just watching the hundreds of people doing the same. Azeris and expats alike, they were all here.

I went to bed early as I had an early morning and a long day of travel ahead tomorrow.
Baku at night
But after 1.5 hours of sleep I woke up again. It was incredibly warm in my room and some annoying mosquito kept buzzing around my head. It had been warm throughout my stay in Baku, but tonight was the first night without wind, which had its immediate effect on the temperature. And on the mosquito population.

I don't know what it was, I couldn't sleep any more. The heat was bothering me, but I'll admit I was also somewhat nervous for tomorrow. I was on my way to Iran. A country I've been wanting to visit for a long time, but my government now advises against visiting. While I kept saying to myself everything would be fine (I'd met a few people now who had come from Iran travelling in opposite direction, without any issues) there was still a minor chance there could be issues at the border.
Strolling the Bulvar
Apparently the Iranian government is completely paranoia when it comes to either journalists or spies, and a solo traveller with a laptop and a big camera could easily be mistaken for either. As a precaution I'd taken my blog offline. Technically blogging counts as journalism and on the travel warnings website it is actually mentioned that people can actually be arrested for keeping a blog without a journalism permit.

I kept telling myself everything would be ok and I could go back to sleep, but it wasn't calming me down. Eventually the fear of the unknown made way for irritation with a more short-term nuisance: mosquitoes. I'd been bitten a couple of times the previous nights, but the ones that had bitten me had done so quietly. Tonight however it seemed they'd gone for sonic upgrades. Every time I somewhat dozed off one started buzzing in my ear, waking me up again. And of course I couldn't rest until I had killed the bugger, which often took a while since the mosquitoes in this country are tiny and fast.

At around 4:30 they started bringing in the heavy artillery. I must have killed at least 10 of them in as many minutes, yet each time I switched off the light they'd bring in reinforcements. Their guerilla warfare got the best of me and at 5 I admitted defeat. With less than an hour before my alarm would go off it was no point even trying to sleep anymore. Guess I would sleep on the bus after all...

Bulvar at night