Day 45 (1): Suddenly it all makes sense

Manglisi Travel Blog

On the road to Manglisi

People I met here and/or travelled with: Jack (Netherlands)

After a very comfortable night sleep I rolled out of bed to find a delicious breakfast waiting for me. There is a supermarket which sells some Dutch groceries nearby and Jack had bought some genuine Calvé peanut butter (mét stukjes noot!). Well, should I ever suffer from home sickness this is a great way to overcome it.

Jack is having a summer house built in the nearby town of Manglisi and he wanted to show the place to me. The drive to Manglisi was an hour through some stunning scenery. It is amazing just how green this country is. Everything is so fertile here, any piece of land that is not used for agriculture is covered with grass and trees. Quite a difference from the barren landscape of Armenia.

To be totally honest, I couldn't quite see what Jack was doing in Georgia.
On the road to Manglisi
Tbilisi is called the most attractive of the three Caucasus capitals, but I just don't see what the hype is all about. It's not a particular beautiful city and with the exception of the nightlife I had the feeling the facilities were better in Yerevan. The country is rife with corruption, doesn't have the most decisive government and has a rather shaky relationship with its northern neighbour (as evidenced two years ago with the 5-day war). So why would anyone choose this country to retire?

Well, upon seeing his summer house and its surroundings it all made sense. With a relatively mild land climate and house prices being only a fraction of the costs in Europe and maybe this isn't  such a bad place after all. The landscape of Manglisi could just as well have been somewhere in Southern France. I could see myself watch a sunset here from the roof terrace while sipping on some Georgian wine.
So while I didn't particularly like Tbilisi, just outside of the capital life can indeed be very good.

The town of Manglisi is a typical seasonal town. Many people from Tbilisi have a summer house here and in summer the population quadruples. The town itself is not overly interesting, but it has a very attractive old church (what else) at the edge of town.
We paid the church a quick visit before we headed back to Tbilisi where we were meeting up with Lika.

dukeBG says:
"Patience my tinsel angel
Patience my perfumed child"

By the way Bart, I hope you know about forthcoming Roger Waters 'The Wall World Tour 2011' because tickets sales going very fast...
Posted on: Jun 08, 2010
edsander says:
These pictures don't help a bit in solving the enigma Biedjee!
Posted on: Jun 08, 2010
Biedjee says:
soon... just how soon is as good a guess for you as it is for me :-)
Posted on: Jun 04, 2010
Jacks summer house
Jack's summer house
view from Jacks summer house
view from Jack's summer house
pear blossom in the garden
bell tower of the church in Mangli…
bell tower of the church in Mangl…
Little church in Manglisi