Day 194: Oh no, it's raining again and you know it's hard to pretend

Kathmandu Travel Blog

Sign at the entrance of the bar where I wrote this blog entry - At least they're honest about their service (or lack thereof)

Isn't it strange how a song with such depressing lyrics can have such an upbeat melody? I'm normally not fussed about the weather, but the absurd amount of rain I have experienced over the past 10 weeks had dampened my mood somewhat this morning (either that or the fact that I couldn't sleep off my hangover due to the excessive noise in the street, which had started at 6 in the morning).

My plan had been to venture into the Kathmandu valley once more and spend the night at Nagarkot, a village perched high on a ridge from where you are supposed to have a majestic vista on the Himalayas. But alas, rain generally means no vistas, so I didn't see any point in travelling there now. Besides, travelling would have been a challenge anyway because of the Dashain festival.

So it was yet another day in Kathmandu. In the rain. I wasn't too bothered though. Yes, it was a major downer I wasn't able to go to Nagarkot, but on the other hand I had plenty of things to do. I paid the balance of my Tibet trip, bought some new sandals (the ones I had taken with me from Holland were ready for retirement after three years of service), I exchanged my finished book for a new one and finally did some much needed blog updates.

But above all, it was a day to take it easy. I was really, really tired. The trek, the partying that ensued, not having had a lie-in past 06:30 in the past four weeks, it was taking its toll. I had felt pretty exhausted during the Chitwan trip and I figured that if I wanted to survive the next four weeks, which will consist of some pretty heavy-duty travelling through Tibet and China, then I'd need some rest. So today and tomorrow will be the 'take it easy days'.

Sign at the entrance of the bar wh…
Sign at the entrance of the bar w…
Kathmandu