Day 189 (2): FFFREEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDOOOOOOOOOOMMMMM!!!!!!!

Kathmandu Travel Blog

my room at the Grand Royal

Thanks to the people I met here and/or travelled with: John (Scotland), Dan (Scotland) & Tom (UK)

Kathmandu! Never thought I'd be so happy to be back.
From the airport the four of us shared a taxi back to the city, stopping at Hem's house on the way to pick up my luggage. Hem was a bit disappointed I wasn't staying with him, but I explained to him that because I'd been stuck in Lukla for so long there were too many things I needed to do in Thamel, that it would be better for me to stay there. Hem understood and then admitted that I would not have been able to stay anyway, since he already had two couch surfers and his entire extended family staying with him.

Thamel at night
This whole week is a holy festival in Nepal, so his family had come over to celebrate.
We agreed to keep in touch and that I would try to spend a day with him later this week.

In Thamel the taxi dropped us at the hotel that John's travel agent had been booked for him. Dan, Tom and I tried to get a room here as well, but we were told the hotel was full. Dan and Tom had been recommended another hotel and a quick phone-call later we had made a reservation there. They hadn't been particularly friendly on the phone and the price had been a little above budget, but as it was already late we figured this would do.
As we walked over to the hotel I wanted to check out the Yeti Guest Home though. As we entered the alley where the Yeti is located we were approached by a guy who offered us a room in his hotel.
Thamel at night
Normally I don't like touts, but in this case, we needed a place to stay, so we checked it out. The Grand Royal Hotel was anything but Grand or Royal, but it was cheap and a lot closer to John's place than the other hotel, so we figured it would do just fine for one night.

The four of us met up again at the Sheesha bar, as this is an easy landmark in Thamel and has a nice atmosphere. We had a lovely dinner and an even more lovely Strawberry Sheesha, all washed down with some icy cold locally brewed Tuborg beer.

Afterwards we ended up in a bar, called the Reggae bar. There was a live band, playing anything but Reggae, but it had a good atmosphere and plenty of cold beers.

Nepal is an early-to-bed country and everything generally closes at 23:00. We tried to find one of those fabled night clubs which stays open late, but all in vain. There were some rickshaw drivers willing to bring us to a nightclub outside the city, but we figured this wouldn't be such a good idea. Dan and Tom had to get up early tomorrow for their flight to Delhi, so we decided to call it a day and went back to our hotels.

Kathmandu Hotels & Accommodations review
A royal dump
Upon returning to Kathmandu after my trek I didn't have any accommodation booked. As we were walking through Thamel I decided to check out the Yeti Gu… read entire review
Kathmandu