AsiaIndiaAgra

Day 140: Delhi Belly

Agra Travel Blog

Boarding the train at Jhansi

Thanks to the people I met here and/or travelled with: Ed (Netherlands)

Our train didn't leave until late in the afternoon, so we had the whole morning in Orchha. Initially we had planned to explore the town some more, but we realised we had seen pretty much everything there is to see, so instead we spent the morning relaxing at the hotel.
This being a very luxury hotel, we were allowed to keep the room until we had to leave for Jhansi station, so none of that “check-out before 11 AM” crap. Nice!

The train from Jhansi to Agra took about four hours, but in true Indian fashion it was late. I had hoped to catch the famous Taj Mahal at sunset, but alas.

Our healthy lunch on the train
It would have been a pretty sight, I'm sure, as we arrived at Agra station under a stunningly pink and orange sky, but by the time we had reached the city centre and checked in to our hotel it was pitch black.
For some weird reason the Taj is not lit at night, so once the sun sets you can't see it anymore.

We walked around the Taj Ganj, the area around the Taj Mahal which is packed with hotels, restaurants and tour operators (and which is surprisingly ugly and dirty, considering the India's biggest tourist attraction is just on the other side of the walls).
We had dinner at the restaurant of hotel Sheela, next to the Taj Mahal (which, once again, we couldn't see as there is not a single light shining on the building).

All day long I had been feeling a bit queasy and I thought this had something to do with the fact that our lunch on the train had consisted of crisps and spicy peanuts - not the healthiest lunch ever.
Holy cow at Agra inspecting a small temple
But while we were having dinner I noticed that my body did not really want the food any more. I started fearing the worst and my fears proved right in the middle of the night, when I woke up feeling horribly ill. I hurried to the bathroom and threw up all the contents of my stomach.
Food poisoning is so common in India that it is jokingly dubbed a 'Delhi Belly'. I knew beforehand it would be unavoidable, but why now? Why do I have to get sick the night before our visit to the Taj Mahal, the one sight I had been looking forward to in India the most. Our alarm was set for 5:30, I really needed my sleep, but instead I spent most of the night in the bathroom.

halilee says:
UGH, nothing worse than getting food poisoning on a trip.. :(
Posted on: Oct 12, 2012
edsander says:
The question was 'how many times have you been sick?'. :-P
Posted on: Dec 11, 2010
Biedjee says:
that was a flu, not food poisoning
Posted on: Dec 10, 2010
Our healthy lunch on the train
Holy cow at Agra inspecting a smal…
Holy cow at Agra inspecting a sma…
The breakfast that (most likely) c…
The breakfast that (most likely) …
Agra Hotels & Accommodations review
Very average
This is one of the hotels that was booked for us as part of our tour through Rajasthan. The hotel is fairly modern, well-equipped and reasonable comfo… read entire review
Agra