Day 121: Another day, another blue-domed mausoleum

Turkistan Travel Blog

Yasui Mausoleum

The Yasaui Mausoleum in Turkistan is Kazakhstan's major pilgrimage site. It is also considered to be the country's greatest architectural monument. Basically it's a piece of Uzbekistan within Kazakhstan, thanks to the whims of Stalin who drew the borders in such a way that no Central Asian republic would contain a single ethnicity.
The Sufi poet Kozha Akhmed Yasaui moved here from Bukhara and started the Yasaui Sufi order here. Years after Yasaui's death Timur (you know, the guy from Samarkand) built this mausoleum here.

It is understandable that the Kazakhs are proud of the mausoleum, as it is pretty much the only remaining historic building in the country (ok, there are a few, but nothing compared to Uzbekistan).

Turkistan bazaar
For the casual tourist there isn't all that much to see though. A huge mausoleum, some mud brick defense walls, a small mosque and museum and an underground mosque. The latter was quite beautiful and in my opinion much more interesting than the grand blue domed, mosaic tiled mausoleum.

However, I was all too aware that this was also the last Timuroid/Persian style building I would see this trip, so I might as well savour it!
It was just too bad that photography was not allowed inside any of the buildings, because, well, I found the inside of the underground mosque much more interesting than the outside.

Though the mausoleum area is supposed to be the centre of Turkistan, these days most of the village life evolves around the bazaar three kilometres away. The mausoleum area is little more than a sleepy sleepy Soviet town with overgrown parks and historic building.
I took a bus to the bazaar area and spent the rest of the afternoon there. I really like the bustling Central Asian bazaars and this one was no exception. I had contemplated hiring a taxi to go to a nearby ruined Silk Road city, but decided against it. It was quite expensive and by now I guess I have seen enough crumbling mud brick cities.

Yasui Mausoleum, seen from my hotel
Yasui Mausoleum, seen from my hotel
The Yasui Mausoleum and the (parti…
The Yasui Mausoleum and the (part…
Yasui Mausoleum and rose garden
Yasui Mausoleum and rose garden
Detail of the Yasui Mausoleum
Detail of the Yasui Mausoleum
Turkistan Hotels & Accommodations review
Yet another Soviet hotel
The Yassy Hotel is a Soviet style hotel within easy walking distance of Turkistan's sole attraction, the Yasau Mausoleum. Like any other former state … read entire review
Turkistan