Day 12 (3): Arriving in Bulgaria

Ruse Travel Blog

Ruse train station
People I met here and/or traveled with: Margarita (Bulgaria)

Our driver dropped us off across the Friendship bridge across the Dun─ârea river in front of the Romanian border post.

We set our goodbyes and walked through the passport control. Though both Romania and Bulgaria are in the EU now, they are not part of Schengen yet, so there is still passport control. This didn't take much of our time though, and five minutes later we were in Bulgaria.
Wow, two new countries in a single day. My countries visited map is coming on in leaps and bounces! This is not how I prefer to 'collect' my countries though. At the bare minimum I would like to see something when visiting a country (other than farmland and police checkpoints).

Margarita's work had arranged a hotel for her, and there was a courtesy car waiting at the other side of the border.
arriving in Bulgaria
She asked the driver to drive us past the bus station and train station to see if there would be any onwards transportation available for me at all. If not, I would stay in the same hotel as she did.

I was in luck though, there were several buses available, but I was also able to catch the train we had missed in Bucharest as we had overtaken it. For some strange reason I was not allowed to buy a ticket for the sleeper carriage though, but I had to take seated class instead. This wasn't much of a problem, really, as the train was mostly empty so I had a whole compartment for myself and I could lie down. That said, comfortable would not be the way I'd describe the journey.

I said my goodbyes to Margarita and after a quick (and belated) dinner I boarded the train and set off again.

photo by: Biedjee