Day 1: here we go!

Utrecht Travel Blog

My sister Robbel saying goodbye to me at Utrecht station

It is quite ironic I should be travelling by train for the first stretch of my trip. I mean, I hate taking the train. In Holland that is. The Dutch railways are horribly unreliable. From my home town to work it is a 20 minute train ride, but even so I have regularly experienced delays up to 1.5 hours on that stretch.
So in order to make sure I would not miss my international train to Poland, I took not one, but two trains earlier. Just to be on the safe side.

My sister Robbel was waiting for me at the Utrecht train station. This was another weird goodbye. Mainly because we are used to travelling together, and it just didn't seem right, me all geared up for travelling, and she kitted in her work outfit.

It just didn't compute.
And she wouldn't be visiting me on this trip either. As much as she'd want to, it just wasn't feasible for her to travel this year.

So her part in my big journey consisted of just a cup of coffee at the Starbuck's at Utrecht central, and a big hug wishing me a great journey. Hmmm, perhaps I will be able to convince her to come visit me somewhere along the way...

And so I left. Just like that. After the months of preparation this was the biggest anti-climax imaginable. Then again, why should a departing train be the climax of a journey?

I had a compartment for myself. So I stored away my luggage, sat down, opened the beer I'd bought at Utrecht station and relaxed. Not before long I had completely taken over the compartment, trying out three different beds before finally settling for the least uncomfortable one.

I didn't sleep as well as I had hoped I would. The trains I had taken through Russia two years ago had been really comfortable and relaxed. This one was a Polish train though, with considerably smaller beds that I just couldn't fit in. And what made it worse that there was a wailing child in the compartment next to mine, which kept me (and most of the other people in the carriage) awake for most of the night.

vodkaphix says:
Why do Children have to travel and get on adults nerves? I never had the fortune to be able to travel at their age! It's quite annoying to be kept awake by a BRAT! Ear Plugs are sometimes the solution if their not too near you.
Posted on: Feb 23, 2011
edsander says:
> a wailing child in the compartment next to mine, which kept me awake for most of the night. > Add to standard travelling equipment: ear plugs ! They're in mine. ;-)
Posted on: Apr 13, 2010
01maynardjameskeenan says:
Good luck with this... i hope you gather some wonderful memories along the way :)
Posted on: Apr 12, 2010
My sister Robbel saying goodbye to…
My sister Robbel saying goodbye t…
My train