0638 Worth the Hike (Ita 103—new)

Taggia Travel Blog

Now that I’ve seen some of the gems that I skipped over on my way to Nice, I really want to stop at every single village.  Or maybe not.

Taggia is a long ways a away from the station, and to get there I have to cross a no man’s land of open fields, generic shopping centers, greenhouses and random structures scattered across the valley. But I’m already off the train, so I decide to go ahead and hoof it over there, hoping that it’ll be worth it.

I find yet another fun to explore old tunnel town--  very quiet, but obviously still inhabited.  I wander up and down the steep stairways and alleyways looking for a good place for my clip.  Finally I settle on an old courtyard with buildings with mildewed, semi-exposed walls, clothes hanging out to dry--  just the quintessential Old Italian Town look that I’ve grown to love so much.  It allows you to really get a glimpse of what this town really must have looked like hundreds of years ago, rather than glossing over and Disneylandizing it…

In front of the town there’s a long bridge that looks much like the old Roman bridges of Rimini and Savagnano--  also fun to explore… and another town way up on the hill on the other side which beckons me… but I decide I should continue on down the road instead.

photo by: nathanphil