0637 Another amazing Old City (Ita 102—new)

San Remo Travel Blog

Deep in the bowels of a mountain, the train stops at the Sanremo (or San Remo) station.  From there it’s a good hike out of the mountain and into the city.  It seems an odd place to put a train station--  but as I find out later, the railway used to run right along the coast, but I guess folk decided it was an eyesore and decided to reroute the train straight through the mountain.  Once again, you’ve got to respect folks here for the effort they make to preserve their landscape!

I soon find myself hiking up and down the buried alleyways of Old San Remo, in and out of scrappy, but very charming little plazas--  it almost rivals Ventimiglia as far as “cool Old City” is concerned.  In many places the gray, peeling walls definitely give it a ghetto feel--  but a very cool ghetto feel.  Finally I pop out at the top, where there’s a beautiful chapel and a panoramic view of the whole area.

Back down below, I wander around the bustling outdoor market, down into the modern city center where there’s a fancy little Russian Orthodox Church that looks like it was transplanted from Moscow… and a pleasant railroad-track-turned-bike-trail along the coast.

Overall a very cool little city and a fun place to explore.

San Remo