0635 Early Morning Exploration (Ita 100—new)

Vallecrosia Travel Blog

Despite Freddy’s blanket, I was still feeling pretty chilly that night outside the walls of Ventimiglia.  Then, at about 4 AM, I felt this spray coming down on my face.   I look up and I see stars and a clear sky.

That’s odd.

Then suddenly Malcolm yells “Aw sh*t! it’s the sprinklers!”  Yep, the automatic sprinklers had gone off, and our stuff was soaked.   So they moved all their stuff closer to the street and prepared to go back to bed (figuratively).  I figured I was quite satisfied with my hobo cross-cultural experience, and was ready to hit the road.  So I gratefully returned to Freddy his now soggy blanket, bid my new friends farewell, and headed on my way.

I’ll probably never hear from Freddy again… but Malcolm has an email address and hopefully I’ll be able to find out how his quest turns out.

I cross a dark and silent Ventimiglia and on to Vallecrosia, another town right next to it.  I do cross some Roman ruins--  but of course it’s too dark to get a good look at them… I wander up along the stream, through the park and along Main Street, pondering on the peculiar encounter of the day before.

The sun doesn’t seem to be in any hurry to rise, so I just take a dark video clip on the corner and continue on my way.

photo by: nathanphil