0631 Yet another hilltop castle (Fra (080—new)

Cagnes-sur-Mer Travel Blog

After my three towns to the east of Nice, I decide to quickly catch a bus west to see if I can catch one or two more towns I’d seen on my way too Cannes.

Cagnes sur Mer has an intriguing hilltop castle that I want to check out, but I get off the bus too soon and have to hurry to make it there before dark.  It’s definitely worth the trip, with an Old Town with cobblestone streets and bumpy stone houses along the steep alleys that lead to the castle at the top.  I make it just in time and enjoy a great view of the wooded hills to the north.

Despite its charm though, Cagnes doesn’t seem to have a high opinion of itself.  The Mairie is a very run of the mill building squeezed between two narrow streets.   This town has a strong immigrant presence--  I get the feeling that this is where a lot of the Riviera’s working class lives--  folks who can’t afford to live in places like Nice, Monaco, or Villefranche sur Mer.  Obviously there has to be a working class--  people to wait on tables, landscape and clean hotel rooms…

I head on down the hill and wander around an otherwise rather ordinary downtown… and continue in my way.

photo by: Vikram