0630 Swimming in the French Riviera (Fra 079—new)

Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat Travel Blog

There’s a popular walkway along the coast of the peninsula to Cap Jean de Ferrat, passing luxury bayside homes with their own little boat harbour in the basement.  I find one half built one that is abandoned, and head down to explore it…

The path twists along the coastline until we finally reach the village of Jean Ferrat, about halfway up the peninsula.  It’s a small but charming little village with a quaint little church, a strangely humble looking Mairie,of course its luxury harbour and some beautiful sculptures on the walkway overlooking the bay.

I decide to take my clip in a courtyard overlooking the harbour with an American flag waving in the background… I don’t know if it’s there to welcome tourist, or if it has some significance… so we’ll just imagine.

A pair of cannons point out towards the bay, relics of another era.

I’d enjoy hiking through the forest all the way to the tip of the peninsula… but this is my last day, so I really need to cram in a few more towns.

On my way back I follow the Villefranche bay on the other side this time.  The weather is way to chilly for swimming, and the water feels like ice, but it wouldn’t feel right to leave the French Riviera without a swim in these beautiful turquoise waters.  And so I find a discreet spot and step into the water creating an unforgettable moment, swimming in view of luxury homes and sailboats, an ancient medieval village and a cruise ship docked not to far away…

I’ll admit I don’t stay in the water very long, but hey, at least I can say I swam in the sea of the French Riviera.

photo by: hellenica