0628 The Hike East (Fra 077—new)

Villefranche-sur-Mer Travel Blog

It’s day 3 of my French Riviera little adventure.  I’d say I’ve done pretty well so far.  I’ve visited Monaco, Nice and 7 other little French villages making a couple of pretty cool discoveries.  But there’s still a lot more too explore.  Today I’m going to head east once again--  but this time on foot, to check out some of the towns between Nice and Monaco.  Passing through by bus the other day they really looked tempting.

First I have to climb a steep ridge of winding streets… and right at the top I exit Nice and enter the town of Villefranche sur Mer.  Here I can soak in one of the most stunning views of the Riviera… orange tiled roofs of the Old Town of Villefranche… the turquoise bay dotted with sailboats and a cruise ship… the lush green Cap Jean peninsula… it is truly a million dollar view.

The only trouble is figuring out how to take a clip of me and my guitar with the view in the background… I even try borrowing someone’s garbage bin from across the street to use as a prop for my camera… still can’t quite do the view justice…  Well, at least I’m able to enjoy the view better than the folks on the cruise tour buses who speed right through at 40 miles an hour.

I keep on walking east until I find myself in another town, Beaulieu.

A Few Hours Later

After Beaulieu and Cap Jean, I head back west through Villefranche, this time way down below along the shore.  There I reach the Old Town just as it starts to rain, but that doesn’t keep me from wandering about and enjoying the vibe of the place.  It’s a decent old town as old towns go--  pretty touristy, but it still has an authentic feel to it.  Next to it is a big old castle which you can explore for free.  Inside the labyrinth of its chambers is a sculpture display of some artist who specializes in naked women--  an interesting display, but it kind of feels out of place in an ancient castle… I’d rather just explore a castle as a castle…

And from there I climb up the winding streets to the main road above to catch a bus back to Nice.

Villefranche-sur-Mer