0616 A Delicious End to a Long Hike (Ita 095—new)

Camogli Travel Blog

Now I know I’d spotted a cluster of interesting looking buildings that I think are just on the other side of the ridge, and I debate whether or not I should keep going or not.  It’s dark, so I’m not going to get any good pictures, and I don’t know how late the trains back to Genova run, but I decide to give it a shot, and lunge for one last town before calling it a day.

And I’m sure glad I do.  Camogli, despite its name turns out to be absolute gem of a town.  The city is packed full of tall, mysterious looking yellow buildings, all with that “fake Baroque” painted look, dimly lit alleys that lead down to a splendid ancient harbour that maybe gives a glimpse to what Genova harbour once looked like.  It’s a pure, unspoiled ancient port town, that you can wander about and truly be transported to another time and place--  and arriving after dark gives it all the more a feel of timeless mystique.

I wander dreamily around the peaceful harbour, up to a chapel perched high on a jagged little peninsula… down an arched covered alley, through a squeeze through and onto a spacious boardwalk/beach with fierce waves crashing on the shore… It’s a perfect dessert for a strenuous but very satisfying day--  well deserved… I started this day thinking I’d only explore Genova--  and here I’ve added another six towns to my collection!

Finally it’s time to call it a day, I catch the train back to Genova… and this time I think I’ve earned the right to take a bus up to the hostel rather than hoofing it...

photo by: Ann_Hells