EuropeItalyPavia

0608 Rained out in Pavia (Ita 087—new)

Pavia Travel Blog

My next stop is Pavia, which Massimo recommended that I visit--  so my expectations are pretty high.  Unfortunately, just as start to explore the city center it starts pouring down rain.  I do manage to get a quick clip in front of what looks like the Roman Goddess of War, and the unpretentious little piazza with the ancient city hall with its three stories of arches--  humble but charming in a quaint way… But then after trudging around a bit, I give up and sit at a bus stop waiting for the rain to stop.

I knew that, coming here in March the weather wasn’t going to be perfect, and I’d determined that I wasn’t going to let the weather keep me from making the most out of every day during this short trip… but I’ll have to admit that the rain did put a slight damper on my appreciation of Pavia.

The rain didn’t stop, so I finally decided to continue my exploration… I did enjoy discovering the five spire church--  (they look more like Turkish minarets than spires)… the clock tower… the cylindrical tower… and of course, the imposing Pavia castle outside the Old City.

It’s surrounded by a nice park, and although the four corner towers are now covered with a roof, taking away a little bit from it’s castlelike look, it’s still quite an impressive structure.

Then the wind picks up and the rain really starts coming down hard, and I have to run into a phone booth to escape--  but not before I get pretty soaked…

And with that my Pavia adventure comes to a bit of a soggy end…

Pavia