0607 Working Class Suburb (Ita 086—new)

Pioltello Travel Blog

Day three starts up with a bit more catch up work to do.  Much of my exploring of Bergamo last October was either at night or with company, so now I need to do another quick tour to take some more pictures and video clips… I climb up to the Citta Alta to take check out the Old City and the cathedrals one more time… and then back down to the city center with its mix of fountain plazas and very stern, no frills Fascist era government buildings.

Satisfied with my tour, I hop on a train headed west.  I’ve got to be in Genova by nightfall--  which means that I should be able to cram in a few more towns along the way.

My first stop turns out to be a very un-historical working class suburb of Milano, Pioltello.

That’s quite OK--  I’m not here just to hit the tourist route, I want to see all facets of Italy’s history and present.  And Pioltello is the present:  blocks of run of the mill apartment buildings with a strong immigrant presence.  Plain little parks with modern art covering the walls.  Cheap pizza catering to the factory worker on the run.  This is 21st century Italy… and a glimpse into its future:  less flamboyant… more practical… more racially diverse…

I would think that a place like Pioltello would have cheaper apartments--  but no… I check out a real estate agency and apartments are still very expensive here--  I guess because it’s so close to Milan.

I figure I’ve pretty much seem the town--  but then I spot a tall cathedral way off in the distance and figure I should go check it out.  There I finally find the true “heart” of Pioltello, with a few pleasant pedestrian only alleys and sort of historical buildings--  but nothing really spectacular…

Finally, satisfied with my exploration, I head on my way.

Pioltello