0590 Arizona Scenery (USA 106—new)

Oro Valley Travel Blog

Next morning after enjoying one last breakfast of huevos con machaca and a good chat with the owner--  a very open minded lady with a bit of a Buddhist bent, breaking the typical Catholic or Protestant stereotype categories… Then I cross the border, hop on a van and head up to Tucson.

As in Navojoa, I decide to focus more on reconnecting with my past rather than on exploring and playing music.  I rent a car and head up to Catalina where I spend the evening with some old friends from my teenage years.

Next day I’ve got a bunch of shopping to do for my wife and a couple of people in Morocco--  so my memories of this day consist more of going up and down the aisles of Walmart and Target.  I do definitely want to get a video clip of the majestic mountains north of Tucson, but when I head off the main highway, I find myself in a some sort of exclusive resort type neighborhood with “members only” signs around--  so after I take a quick video clip next to a giant cactus, I decide I’d better head on my way.

This area is Oro Valley, an independent “city”, and your ultimate “cars only town”.  The neighborhoods are spread out and connected only to the highway, which is very pedestrian-unfriendly.  It’s the epitome of the soulless suburb with nothing but isolated houses and corporate strip mall shopping centers.

But the mountain view is nice--  and I don’t want to leave this area without at least one more American town, so I decide to count it…

So after another evening with old friends, I head down to the airport, drop off my rental car, and big my native country farewell once again.

The End of Tour 016: USA-Southwest 1

It’s been a mere 8 towns, 6 days and 60 hourse here in the Southwest, but I’m still going to call this a Tour.

It’s been an interesting experience to come to my own country as a “tourist” for the first time and to be an objective observer rather than a frustrated native.  I was able to wander past the endless sprawl of Tucson and Los Angeles, the ridiculously wide streets, the five layer freeway interchanges and generic strip malls imagining that I’m a foreigner who’s never seen this before--   and I actually found it all quite intriguing!

It’s been fun to realize how much I’ve changed since I last experienced this part of the world 10 years ago…

Oro Valley