0583 A Spacious Suburb (USA 102—new)

Hawthorne Travel Blog

I continue on east, hoping to find another suburb of a bit more substance--  and I do.  Hawthorne covers a big chunk of real estate and it’ll keep me busy for the rest of the morning.

This also seems to be a standard middle class suburb with small houses (compared to out East) and a good variety of ethnicities.  There’s a pleasant atmosphere at the park where folks are out getting exercise.   I hike up and down the wide, rather boring boulevards lined with random businesses, billboards and a couple off interesting churches… then back up a side street to get the feel for the residential neighborhoods.  There’s not the connectedness that I felt in Inglewood or South L.A., just houses...

I finally find what looks like “Main Street”.  Here’s a very wide divided boulevard with trees and parking in the center.  On the side are some of the typical franchises as well as a few interesting businesses, but with the street being so ridiculously wide, you still get this feeling that nobody wants to be close to anybody.

All the same, it’s been a pleasant tour of this suburb--  a sharp contrast to yesterday’s “Adventure Tour”  across L.A.   I definitely hope to come back a do some more of these suburbs…

But now it’s time to move on.  I hike back to the airport area, sneak back on a free shuttle bus, and back to my terminal.

photo by: portia