EuropeLatviaRiga

Restless in Riga

Riga Travel Blog

May 7, 2009
Bus: Eurolines, Tallinn, Estonia - Riga, Latvia
This was my last morning in Tallinn.  Today I checked the online blog I've been following, this guy (http://www.leeabbamonte.com) is trying to be the youngest person to visit all 300+ Traveler's Century Club 'countries'.  I noticed that his last post was from Riga, where I was headed!  I sent him a note, then headed off to the bus station.  The long-distance bus station is a few miles southeast of the old town... spent awhile walking down there.  The Eurolines bus shows up, very nice with leather seats, and onboard wifi-internet and electrical outlets.
Central market, Riga, Latvia
I checked my mail again only to find Lee was already in Tallinn! But by then the bus was on the move so I just missed meeting him.

The bus ride to Riga was uneventful, about 4.5 hrs, arriving there at 5PM.  Once there I had a 5 hr wait before my next bus to Kaliningrad.  I had been to Riga several years previously but most of the film pictures I had taken had come out ruined.  The weather was really nice out too compared with my last visit.  Spent a few hours wandering around the old city without a map, just remembering landmarks from our previous trip.  Saw the Freedom Memorial, Cathedral, Swiss Gate, Three Brothers medieval buildings, etc.  Riga seemed more lively this time, maybe because it was a nice day out and good weather.  I had heard of protests and problems lately with the economic troubles but I didn't witness anything in the short time that I was there.  At one point I did hear alot of yelling and whistling.. came around the corner to find it was an outdoor cafe full of people watching a NHL hockey match!  I guess one of the players must be Latvian as everyone was very excited.  I changed a little money, just enough to get a coffee and sit awhile in a cafe uploading my photos to flickr and kill a few more hours before heading back to the bus station for the overnight bus to Kaliningrad.

Riga, Latvia