No snow, no glory

Groningen Travel Blog

My best friend Erwin, my colleague Astrid and classmate Malou were joining me to my first trip to the snow in France. I’ve been before in France, but than in the summer. Actually Erwin, Malou and Astrid weren’t the only people who would join me to the Dutch Snow Week in Val Thorens, France. With a total of 125 people we were a big group. The trip was organized by the ski-school of Assen, TopChallenge, and a lot of schoolmates, friends and other ski/snowboard teachers who I knew were going too. Some of these teachers gave lessons. The other people came just to party and have a ‘free’ week. But Erwin, Astrid and Malou were joining me in the car to ValTho. We drove at night and we arrived without trouble or delay 11 hours later in ValTho. The 2 busses of the other 125 people and the other DutchSnowWeekgo’ers caused a major traffic jam on the way up. It was WWII all over again, except this time it wasn’t Germany who invaded France, but the Dutch J Vive Hollandisa! Ha-ha.

We packed out the car and entered our apartment. It was nice… well, actually, it was good enough to hang around for a week and to be with other teenagers, but when you go with a family, I wouldn’t take this apartment (Les Olympiades). But for young people and for a week, it’s was just fine.

It was hot on this 26th of April… lot of sun, which is good. But the snow… well, there was some… but the condition of it was poor… which is not good (Duhh, I know).

So, we decided to explore the slopes. In Val Thorens there is a huge ski area, called the 3 valleys. But because it was almost May, only one valley was opened, the one of ValTho. But that’s still big enough for the most of us. Anyway… with much excitement and passion we took the first chairlift. Arriving at the top we realized it was going to be the only chairlift we would take that day, because of the poor snow, there were only 2 lifts opened. This resulted in very busy slopes with very poor snow conditions.

I thought ‘This week is going to be a party and only that… no skiing’.

In the evening going to bed I prayed for snow…

Groningen