Key West 2010

Key West Travel Blog

We left Miami for Key West at 0700. The traffic was light and I had somebody else drive for me so I can  say the driving was a breeze. We stopped at Robbie's at Islamorada. For $1.00, you can feed fish called tarpons. The tarpons are huge ass fishes growing probably 3-4 ft in length. 2 bucks would get you a bucket of small fish in order to feed them.  A nice maneuver is to hold the fish 5 inches away from the surface and let the fish snap it out of your fingers.  It does not sting that much, thanks to my neuropathy. I fed the pelicans as well since they tried to steal some feed.

Lunch was at Capt. Mario's Italian seafood buffet.  I call it aka Chinese buffet. The seafood were mediocre, 5 choices. Things you would normally see in a Chinese buffet, not in an Italian buffet. The food posters at the front were totally different from the food inside. Perhaps I should have gone for the dinner buffet instead.

Duval street and Mallory square  (IMHO) felt like tourist traps during the day. But the drinking during the night was fun. We drank at Sloppy Joe's and The Hog's Breath. The atmosphere at Sloppy Joe's was more collegiate while the crows at Hog's breath was more older.

We stayed at Palmer's resort about 30 minutes from Key West.  It was a bargain compared to the comparable hotels in Key West. My room was steps away from the water, hammocks and a grill. It even had  its own boat slip. I steamed crabs and roasted pork bellies while watching the sunset with a a bottle of smirnoff.