Silo and Derandra

Kathmandu Travel Blog

Basantapur, center point of teenagers

While we was sitting there, i met Silo. He lives around Pasupatinat near a house that my friend stayed on the first week so they know each other before. He's a good kid. His friends asked me to buy Momo or Ducha, i almost do it but Silo told me "no". Because they will never stop asking me to buy more. Then he told his friends not to asked me to buy anything again. They obeyed but Silo said he's not a leader :)

Then Silo gave me cigarettes. I asked him "You smoke?" I thought he does but with my angriness eyes so he said No. "How old are you?", I asked. His friend said "Sixteen, seventeen". I said "Don't lie, you're just 9 or 10". Silo hurry said that he didn't smoke but his friends do.

New road
Then another kid came and said that he smoked but no glue. No glue? He pointed to the back, i just saw. It was about 10 kids behind me were taking glues from the black bags. Ahhh, where was i? Silo told me they don't hurt you. I said i don't afraid if they're gonna hurt me? But i wonder why they has to take it. It's useless. Silo said It's their lives. They live with it for a long time, you can't change anything in a single day.

That's true. A ten year old boy reminded me a lot.

Then Silo came to talk with my friend, he really likes my friend, maybe he just wanted to have a brother? The other kids came to talk with me, we were started with easy conversation. Introduce themselves then they started telling me about a history of basantapur and Durba square.

Basantapur
I listened to the story which at first i wasn't sure if it's true or they made it up.

In the evening, here is the main place for all the souvenir sellers. A lot of factories are situated in Patan and Bhaktapur so don't expect to find genuine antiques here, most of them are made for tourists. Gurkha knive is the most favourite thing that people buy. Some called Kukri which it's sharp as a needle but hardly find the genuine one. (As they made from soft iron which is useless but you can keep it as a suvenior as well.) I had a look in the evening and bought some rings for my friends, not sure if it's fake but it's not cheap even i got a good price. They also shared me about the King's palace Hanuman Dhoka, a huge complex with several Buildings, Towers, and pagodas and court yards.

I bought rings here
The white building in Neoclassical style on the corner of Durbar Square was only build in the second half of the 19 th century. Maybe they could be a guide, they knew a lot about this city. Then one of them showed me the house of the Kumari. Kumari is known as a living goddess and incarnation of Taleju. I read about it also. Not only one Kumari in Kathmandu, there are many but this one is the most important. The king has to go to to get her blessings once a year during the Dashain Festival,  the longest festival in Nepalese annual calendar, celebrated by Nepalese throughout the country. It's a good sign which he believes that god gives the power to him to continue being king.
Kumari Bahal
The kid said if i was lucky, Kumari will show up at the window but can't take any photo. I wasn't. No one there, it's at night, she might fall asleep.

While i was listening to them telling me about the history, many Napaleses and tourists looked at us with a strange look. They might thought that friend and I were wasting  time with these homeless kids. They saw the kids took glue, smoked and played around these brown and black hair just to asked for money. But if they came closer, they would know what we were talking about. I belived that what the kid told me was the true history. And after i came back in bangkok, i searched on an internet and i found the quite same story as they told me. Sometimes we can't judge people only with the appearance.

Kumari Bahal
Come and talk to them and you will know them more.

These kids don't have a good opportunity to study and have no one to tell what is right or wrong. But at least as they were born to be Nepaleses, they are not aggressive. Everytime i told them to stop smoking, they did. I knew they would do it after i went out but at that time they listened to what i say. They knew that i wouldn't give them money but they still talked with me and taught me some Nepalese words. And more important thing, they don't steal anything from me. Don't even try. Maybe they just want to have some friends which friend and I can be.

We left them at 11 o'clock when they said they wanted to go to sleep which their bed were around  Durba square.

Kathmandu
It's not a place to sleep but they take it as a home.  So we said goodnight, friend and I walked back to guesthouse.

We found another Ducha stall so we stopped here. Glassed by glasses, today is my last day in Nepal, i wanted to spend night time here as much as i can. Now those shop were closed. In the evening there has a night market at New road but now they're closed. Only me, friend and Ducha shop. And napaleses came all night. Last person we met was Derandra. He said Hi to us and asked us to sit in the back where they sleep when the Ducha stall is closed. He is the plastic bags seller. Derandra is another person who speaks good english. He learned it from Thamel. His mom is alcoholic so he left her and stayed on the street since he was a child.

Again.

He gathers plastic bags on the street and sell, his job. He said he knows who he is, it's not a great job but it's legal. But many people don't like him because of his work. People thought that he might be a theif too. He has no house. He sleeps outside. My friend said don't worry, so do we. Hahaha. So Derandra asked us to sleep there with him and friends. This is another kindness that i was given. Derandra likes us, he said we're easy going. He never met any travellors came and talked to him like this.

At midnight i was so thursty, shops are closed. Derandra knew one but had to walk for 10 minutes. I walked with him and left my friend with the others. I like Kathmandu at night, quiet. No car, no noise. Ok had some taxis which waited for the pub close.

New road
We walked far away from where my friend was, silent and quiet but i wasn't scared at all. I felt safe even i was walking with another stranger which just knew him for not more than one hour. I don't know why did i trust him and walked with him at night? But Derandra hasn't made me disappointed. He took me to where we can buy water and took me back to my friend safely. He became a friend since.

newtampo says:
Wow, you saw her? Lucky you. And yes about the kids. As Baba's gonna take care more of them but that's not enough.
Posted on: Jun 13, 2007
siamesekiwi says:
Your friend looked cool! I had a chance to see Kumari last time I visited there, she's quite cute. I agree with you about Nepalese kids, they are poor and lack opportunities. I saw so many forieners took some of them home at the airport (adoption)...lucky them but there are lots waiting for help.
Posted on: Jun 12, 2007
Basantapur, center point of teenag…
Basantapur, center point of teena…
Buff momo, again :(
Buff momo, again :(
Ducha shop
Ducha shop
Basantapur
Park roof top Hotel, first place o…
Park roof top Hotel, first place …
Last Ducha at midnigh